Manufacturer condones Warsaw Grouper slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well said Kim. I think everyone in this thread should keep an open mind to the cultural differences (or maybe culture shock). That's one thing I like about SB, you get opinions from all over the world (and that's what I like about the internet - you can flame someone across the pacific without having to meet them!).

I once had a distaste for SCUBA spearfishing (as do the majority of the scuba divers in this part of the world do), but after hearing all the arguments since becoming a member, I can't wait to try it! IMO, it is the best form of fishing from the sea. FYI: when I make the majority of these arguments to my friends here, I am the one that is flamed.

But guys, we're missing the point here....

150 ft visibility on a wreck 400ft deep!!! Congrats to Dan for a 7'-11'' catch! That's monstrous! I've stood next to Shaq in person and he's only 7'-1''!!!!

Johnoly:
Actually they have a huge reputation world wide, especially among governmental agencies, like police and fire departments. They are not the cheapest brand on the market, but you get what you pay for. As I said before, I'll ignore the troll on spearfishing. Their gear is excellent on performance!

They do have a good rep world wide but Kim is right to point out that they are geared to the American market. I think a lot has to do with what you pointed out: that they're not cheap. Most LDS's around here can't afford to sell them (not enough people here have the money to buy the product).

Well I admit that I'm not completely sure which countries they are in or not - but I know they are not in Japan for instance (or weren't a few months ago) - Scott Zeagle told me himself on this board. I also wonder about Thailand and Malaysia but I'm not sure. The point is that if they are expanding into new markets then I presume that they will be faced with the sensibilities of those markets - which as I said can be very different to the US. Anywhere I have dived in Asia spearfishing has been illegal. Mostly in diving areas here you are talking about marine protected areas.

Johnoly:
As I said before, I'll ignore the troll on spearfishing.

I don't believe Peter was trolling. He just believes in something else than you do - that's just having a different point of view. Anyone can disagree with his point of view - that's fine. It's not necessary to gang up in some kind of frenzy and call him all kinds of unjustified names to do that - is it? I think that his first post was a tad passionate and came across like an attack. I don't think it was intended that way though after reading his response to all the flames.

I agree. Maybe if Peter posted this in the Underwater Hunting forum, then he'd be a troll! (and who'd be crazy enough to post that there!?!?)

But this is the marine life & ecosystems forum. So let's talk...

It doesn't matter where he posts it. It still seems like trolling to me.

Look at it:

A guy comes in, and basically flames the heck out of Zeagle and scuba spearfishers in general. Several posts are made, which are to be expected, by some angry people who have their own opinion.

OP comes in, and then gets mad at everyone who posted (yes they blasted him, but look at how he wrote what he wrote), and still tells everyone they are wrong, and that there is no scuba community because they don't feel like he feels.

To me, this is trolling, posting such strong feelings, so strongly worded, as to elicit a strong response... I suppose it would be akin to me going into say, General Scuba Discussions, then posting a thread about how wrong all solo divers are because of such and such, and that my opinion is right. No matter what.

To the OP: I respectfully disagree with you. It was what, 4 fish? 3 grouper? As has been pointed out, it pales in comparison to the major commercial stuff, and it was not wasted.

What, out of curiosity, is your opinion on other matters? Say, recreational fishing, spearfishing while freediving, and major long-line commercial operations? Just curious.

If you agree that the definition of "trolling" is a message that serves no constructive purpose and is likely to cause offence, then I feel comfortable that my OP was not a troll. I had an opinion. I wanted to hear other people's opinion on the topic. I did not realize that I would run into a backlash from some spearfishermen. I was hardly aware that spearfishermen still exist. (As Kim points out above, if most of the world spearfishing has long disappeared and spearfishing on scuba has been considered not only illegal but inappropriate for quite some time). I apologize if my comments caused offense but (a) they were not intended to and (b) I still don't understand how they are offensive.

peterbkk:

If we, the scuba-diving community, do not fight for the protection of the oceans, then who will. In this article we have a group of divers, condoned by a major manufacturer, proud of killing an endangered fish. Does it send a message to the world that we don't care either? is there a "scuba-diving community"? Do we have a common viewpoint on marine conservation?

This is what I was referring to. To the majority of the people on this board, you will find that spearfishing and protection of the oceans are two different issues. Ok, it is an officially an endagered species, maybe then, in that respect, different fish should have been considered, but the general consensus seems to be that theses are a hard to find species. Will it change my opinion on Zeagle? not likely. I also seem to remember that the zeagle article pointed out the legality of the operation

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As is each person entitled to their own. If they choose to blast you for yours, that is, unfortunately, their right, even if it is wrong.

Darn shame when a man can't go out and have the adventure of a lifetime without someone fussing over it. Skill and Zeagle helped get him there and back. If I didn't already have some Zeagle BC's I would have to go out and get me one. Gotta go now and reload my bangstick.

Well, I guess by all laws of logic and deductive inference, if one does not condemn, one condones . . . .

Damned if you do, damned if you don't . . .

the K

Back
Top Bottom