Please - The Stupid Need Not Apply ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now the question is "why the loose valve?" Was this a design flaw? A maintenance screwup? User assembly error? Pre-dive check item overlooked?
And after answering that question, the next one is "How do we prevent it from ever happening again?"
Rick

If y'all dont mind one stoopid chipping in on the subject for a change. You wanna argue how many wkpp deaths are/arent wkpp deaths, go start yer own flaming thread.

Now. What follows is a copy, reproduced without any permission whatsover from an email in my archive. For the record, this email was sent by someone you most probably dont know, and copied here by *me* - which is yet another someone you dont know. Or to rephrase, the data in this post is worth exactly the amount you paid for it. Which is probably twice as much as the average worth of any data on the Internet in general.

--------------------------------------

I don't have an Inspiration, never dove one and have intention of ever using one so I am not the right source on this, but here is what I know from [cencored by me - Bl]

14 people have died while diving an Inspiration. It's estimated that there are over 2000 Inspirations out in the field, although it's hard to be sure because the manufacturers won't tell you!

That's about 1 diver in 143 (0.7%).

Electrolung: 3 in 150 - 2%

Cis Mk 4 + 5: 3 in 100? - 3%

Halcyon: 1 in 50(?) - 2% (50 might be a generous figure)

CCR2000: 1 in 12(?) - 8%

Frog: 1 in 1(?): 100%

Draeger: Don't know. Anyone?

MK15/15.5/16: ZERO deaths in civilian use, and literally millions of diving hours done when taking into account at least 4 (?) different Navy use them for the last 25 years.

-------------------------------

Now.. what does that tell us ? Sweet F.A., thats what it tells us.

And KN, while I *do* appreciate your point of view and credibility on the subject, the approach you have taken to discuss BYBOD deaths is not even quack science. Sorry.

You might want to visit the uk.rec.scuba newsgroup, by the way. The occasional "d**k length contests" in which folks brag about the amount of "extra time" they have managed to squeeze out of their scrubbers over and beyong the prescribed three hours defies comprehension. Or, at least, defies *my* comprehension.

Have a nice dive.

Here's a good example of a killer Inspiration rig.

(Note it has nothing to do with the Inspiration itself.)

- Warren

I've been looking at that pic for a few minutes. That is the most convulated mess I've seen. The worst I've ever seen personally was this guy in lower Michigan about four years ago. He had the whole OMS IQ double badder thing going. He had twin 120's on his back, but they were inverted (ie. upside down) so he could reach the valves. One was filled with 80/20 and the other with 32% or something, and had argon mounted between the doubles. He slung his bottom mix on either side -- 108's. Everything was color coordinated and "pretty looking", but I've never been so awestruck. He told me he learned it from a famous tech diver, who's name I won't mention because I don't know if it's true.

The things people think of :rolleyes: :D.

Mike

Blargh,

Oops, I meant to give credit to techdiver. Yeah, there have been many stroke photos on techdiver recently -- this one caught my eye because of the Inspiration. It seemed to go along with this thread pretty well.

- Warren

Guys, heres my 2 cents worth.
Rebreathers have been used for years in fire-fighting, especially in the mines. (2.5 kilometers underground) Their use in military applications became obvious as divers could approach ships without leaving a trail of bubbles. As intricate as they are, the principles by which they work are simple, but look at the original PURPOSE of these sets! Fire-fighting? Shallow water sabotage? Are we not pushing the limits a little by using them down to 100 meters (and more?) Sure, the manufactures will declare them safe if used according to specs, but which of them can state, in honesty, that their sets have been designed FROM THE WORD GO for deep diving by largely recreational divers? (as apposed to fit, young navy divers) Given the record, I dont think the cost and risk are worth it! Those divers who are happy with their rebreathers and who have had no problems, are lucky! It also seems to me that in most cases,the user is UNAWARE of any problems and thus dies ignorant of the reason! Open circuit for me!
I wonder what the search and recovery divers use when fetching deceased rebreather users?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom