Manufacturer condones Warsaw Grouper slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Does that qualify as a troll? :)

I doubt it - it sounded believable to me! :D

I'd say you'd have to try harder - but of course that would be against the rules! eyebrow

swankenstein:
they are pretty quick to attack someone who naively suggests that "conservation" means "not killing".

That's actually a really good point. I used to think that scuba spearfisherman would spear anything and everything they come across. That isn't true at all.

chip104:
I used to think that scuba spearfisherman would spear anything and everything they come across.

That's why I won't have one as a buddy! :11:

SL051009.gif

peterbkk:
Does anyone else think that it is inappropriate for a major scuba equipment manufacturer to be condoning...?

Why would Zeagle risk damaging their reputation...?

Is there a risk that more conservation-minded divers might boycott their equipment?

Regards
Peter

Wow, things sure can happen when you're out of touch at DEMA for a week!

Zeagle Systems is not a corporate conglomerate like some of the majors in diving, but for a mom and pop company they have become a world power and an innovator in BC production, with regulators following suit.

Many other full line companies, some larger than Zeagle, support spearfishing. Some even sell spearguns. Mares, Cressi-sub and Beuchat come immediately to mind.

I have always admired the position that Dennis Bulin, Zeagle's founder/president, has taken in regards to spearfishing. In the 22 years I have known him and done business with Zeagle, he has never wavered in supporting the sport of spearfishing, but not more than other underwater activities. I've taken him, and his long time sales manager Jim Wittstruck, spearfishing many times over the years, but they've always spent more time shooting cameras than spearguns. However Scott and I are avid scuba spearfishers, and I'm also a lifetime freediving shooter.

Zeagle has often been the lone full line company providing support to many spearfishing tournaments, including freediving competitions, despite selling little to zero freediving gear. They have pictured spearos in their catalogs and advertised in spearfishing publications. My Gyataku print of a speared 82 lb cubera snapper is in the Zeagle front office.

Zeagle's recognition of the role that spearfishing played in the formation of sport diving, and spearfishing's significant part in it's continuation, is honestly refreshing!

I don't think Zeagle is worried about their perception in this regard, but instead is a leader in recognizing that spearfishing is a conscientious environmentally ethical method of fishing.

JMHO,

Chad Carney
FL Zeagle Sales

Well said, Chad.

I support Zeagle as well as Zeagle's position that spearfishing is an appropriate sport and the most environmentally conscious form of fishing there is.

Hey everybody, this is my first post since joining a couple of days ago. I wondered if the original post was by a PETA type, and a quick search revealed the following:
http://fishinghurts.com/feat-newcomic.asp
The worst part of this crap is the way they attempt to turn kids against their parents by portraying them as monsters!
I am a parent, as well as a fisherman and spearfisherman.
These PETAs piss me off on so many different levels!

bigrod:
The worst part of this crap is the way they attempt to turn kids against their parents by portraying them as monsters!
I am a parent, as well as a fisherman and spearfisherman.
These PETAs piss me off on so many different levels!

Like kids need a reason other than puberty to disagree and have fights with their parents. I checked out that link and it blew my mind. Regardless of the OP's stance, the whole PETA thing infuriates me. I understand their motives (to a degree) but their tactics leave much to be desired.

Back
Top Bottom