Mares Abyss 52, Scubapro MK21 or MK17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faebsta

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,

I've decided to buy my own regulator. And as the title says, I am deciding between the Mares Abyss 52, the Scubapro MK21 and the MK17. They would be in a similar price range, the MK21 would be a little cheaper.
I am pretty new to buying equipment, so I wanted to ask for good advice or experiences.

Thanks a lot!
Dive save,
faebsta

I'd choose between the MK21 or MK17, difficult to decide between them. Mares isn't even close. The Second stage also matters, what combination are you talking about here?

The Mk21 is a piston reg with very good performance. The Mk17 is a diaphragm reg also with very good performance. In terms of which is easier to breathe for recreation diving both are on par with each other. The Mk17 is completely sealed which is nice for diving on colder waters, below 40 degrees F.

BurhanMuntasser has made a very good point - choosing a good second stage. The Mk21 quite often comes with the S550 second stage which is a decent second stage, especially for price. The Mk17 with the A700 is an excellent choice for cold water diving.

After some discussions with instructors I know, I've bought the MK17 with the G260 2nd stage. Thank you guys very much for your help!

Excellent choice!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom