Mares Abyss hose problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea Shadow:
Scuba Toys may I add a question?
I have an old Dacor Pacer Aero octopus with the specific Dacor 1/2" hose. The connection between the second stage and the hose is not standard (I think that's a Dacor philosophy). Now I need to use this hose on a 3/8" port but I can't change the hose to a regular 3/8" because of this specific connection. Please advise.

There are adapters for that... but I'm not a big fan of adapters... So if you really want advice, but a new octo. You can get into an octo for about 50 bucks, and then have standard equipment so if a hose blows out in Cozumel... you can just use a standard hose - instead of trying to buy an octo down there.

So I'd spend 50 on a new hose, new octo, before buying a $12 adapter and making something that old and discontinued still work....

But that being said... I can sell you the adapter!eyebrow

Jorbar1551:
Im thinking about getting the 05 abyss reg. Can I change the hose from the standard hose to a 7 foot long hose without any problem?

I thought that's what this whole thread was on... Yes and no. Yes you can... if you buy the special hose - which some dealers (myself included) stock. Has to have the large bore hose to accommodate the DFC port at the first stage.

scubatoys:
I thought that's what this whole thread was on... Yes and no. Yes you can... if you buy the special hose - which some dealers (myself included) stock. Has to have the large bore hose to accommodate the DFC port at the first stage.

Just want to throw in the 1/2" hose from Mares that Larry stocks is the one you want to use. Other 1/2 hoses out there not from mares have trouble with the DFC "snorkle" and don't work well. If you go the 3/8" hose then you need to get a special 1/2" plug from Mares as well that I'm sure Larry tries to keep in stock.

What can I say ex Mares rep......

Do these 1/2 in.fitting hoses have a larger internal bore or are they 3/8 hose with a larger fitting?

I used a 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch hose adapter to install an Atomic Aquatics stainless steel 2nd stage swivel on my Mares Ruby........... the adapter allowed me to use the Atomic hose, which has a narrower diameter than the 1/2 inch diameter of the original Mares hose, also, it provided the space/clearance I needed to install the hose on the 1st stage so that the the DFC port 'snorkel -tube' didn't get in the way of the hose, without the adapter you have to use a Mares hose, and since Mares doesn't produce a swivel hose for a 2nd stage, I wanted to use the Atomic hose instead....... tested it in Cozumel in Feb, worked great!

Karl

So, it's not insane of my to think i can use a Dacor Eagle 2nd with a recently acquired MR22 first? Just a 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor? Or does the whole thing not work in principal?

Just curious. I got the MR22 and want to try it out in the pool before the season. Don't want to invest in a mistake. A $6 adaptor doesn't seem like a waste... I have an okay setup, but wouldn't mind replacing the unbalanced piston 1st with the MR22.

andymaher:
So, it's not insane of my to think i can use a Dacor Eagle 2nd with a recently acquired MR22 first? Just a 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor? Or does the whole thing not work in principal?

Just curious. I got the MR22 and want to try it out in the pool before the season. Don't want to invest in a mistake. A $6 adaptor doesn't seem like a waste... I have an okay setup, but wouldn't mind replacing the unbalanced piston 1st with the MR22.

...offhand, I don't see a problem with your idea....however, as I discovered with my Atomic hose to Ruby 1st stage modification, sometimes it's impossible to forcast certain technical difficulties modifying gear until you actually have it in your hands and try to put everything together...only thing do certain problems become evident...I've learned to prepare things well in advance of dive trips, you you have time to assemble everything, confirm everything works as anticipated, and provide enough lead time to special order whatever extra parts you unexpectedly need.

Karl

Back
Top Bottom