Mares annual servicing nightmares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Mares V22 and Proton Ice/Octo

I live in the eastern USA.

It has been a nightmare trying to get annual servicing on these regs.

First of all, it is difficult to find anyone who is even willing to service Mares regs.

Second, it always takes months to get the regs serviced because everyone says they can't find parts.

My V22/Proton Ice have been in the shop since July because the shop says they can't find parts. Same old story, every year, for the past 5 years. I am getting sick of this.

(1) Since Mares doesn't suppport their regs, will Mares buy back my regulators?
(2) If not, will Mares PLEASE DO SOMETHING?

harry send your regs to us. we are an authorized mares lab and will be glad to service your gear for you.

www.bluemarblediver.com

the only thing that would make it hard to get the parts would be if they stoped making the regs five years ago. they only make parts for them for a couple years after they are removed from the lineup, and then when the parts are gone, they are gone

I have a Mares V22 and Proton Ice/Octo

I live in the eastern USA.

It has been a nightmare trying to get annual servicing on these regs.

First of all, it is difficult to find anyone who is even willing to service Mares regs.

Second, it always takes months to get the regs serviced because everyone says they can't find parts.

My V22/Proton Ice have been in the shop since July because the shop says they can't find parts. Same old story, every year, for the past 5 years. I am getting sick of this.

(1) Since Mares doesn't suppport their regs, will Mares buy back my regulators?
(2) If not, will Mares PLEASE DO SOMETHING?

Doc, I see you have someone willing to help you, however I want to personally address your post.

• I think you may have your reg mixed up. We didn't offer the Proton 2nd with a 22 1st stage and I don't recall the 22 being offered in the V configuration. I think what you have is the V32 Proton regulator.
  • Please forward me the name and location of the store you are dealing with. I will have our district sales manager call them to make sure they have the correct information.
  • Currently we have 2536 V32 service kits in stock, over 2000 poppet seats in stock.
  • I recommend during this service they upgrade your HP seat with our new trimaterial valve, we have thousands of these available also. If the store you are taking your regulator to has a trained technician through our lab program they should recommend this as well.
Years ago we had some part availability issues, however we have done something about this and we no longer experience these issues. We are servicing regulators from over 20 years ago, and I would consider your reg far from obsolete. If you would like, you can also send in a PM your location and I can recommend a short list of trained facilities close to you.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

since we are on the topic of servicing i have a question. does anybody know how the lifetime parts program works. i got my regs from a mares dealer. i am not do service yet but would like to know the correct path to follow when it is time.

The parts program is for N. America only. This policy is for the original purchaser of a Mares regulator through an authorized Mares dealer network. Simply have the regulator serviced annually as recommended by Mares, bring your service booklet to the service center for record keeping. The service center should not charge you for service parts. Note: this does not include their labor (parts only).

Best,

During the past five years, I have not had a single issue with parts availability. IMHO, time to find a new dealer...

Greg Barlow

Doc, I see you have someone willing to help you, however I want to personally address your post.

• I think you may have your reg mixed up. We didn't offer the Proton 2nd with a 22 1st stage and I don't recall the 22 being offered in the V configuration. I think what you have is the V32 Proton regulator.
  • Please forward me the name and location of the store you are dealing with. I will have our district sales manager call them to make sure they have the correct information.
  • Currently we have 2536 V32 service kits in stock, over 2000 poppet seats in stock.
  • I recommend during this service they upgrade your HP seat with our new trimaterial valve, we have thousands of these available also. If the store you are taking your regulator to has a trained technician through our lab program they should recommend this as well.
Years ago we had some part availability issues, however we have done something about this and we no longer experience these issues. We are servicing regulators from over 20 years ago, and I would consider your reg far from obsolete. If you would like, you can also send in a PM your location and I can recommend a short list of trained facilities close to you.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Thank you, you are correct, V32

looked at the parts we have in stock, and we have everything you need to do a service for you. the only thing we dont have is the parts to upgrade you to a trimaterial poppet if you would want one. but if you decide to send your gear to us to service for you, and would like the new poppet, we will get you one.

wichever way you decide to go, i wish you all the best in your future servicing.

looked at the parts we have in stock, and we have everything you need to do a service for you. the only thing we dont have is the parts to upgrade you to a trimaterial poppet if you would want one. but if you decide to send your gear to us to service for you, and would like the new poppet, we will get you one.

wichever way you decide to go, i wish you all the best in your future servicing.

My regs are currently at a shop in north Florida. I took them down there for servicing when I did some deco/cave diving with them this past July. They tell me that the technician is Mares trained. If they can't finish the servicing I will certainly give you a call.

And, if I decide to keep the regs for ice diving, I will certainly call you next year for servicing.

I blend and pump all of my own gas, service and inspect all of my cylinders, and service all the rest of my own gear -- except regs. Maybe I ought to look into doing my own regs, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom