mares axis primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alaity47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering... I've seen a lot of negative comments about the Mares Axis octo on this board. Anyone have experience using the Axis MR12 primary regulator? Is it the same as the octo, just not yellow?

I'm asking because my husband got me one for christmas, and I haven't been able to track down any reviews. :)

alaity47:
Just wondering... I've seen a lot of negative comments about the Mares Axis octo on this board. Anyone have experience using the Axis MR12 primary regulator? Is it the same as the octo, just not yellow?

I'm asking because my husband got me one for christmas, and I haven't been able to track down any reviews. :)

Relax Alaity47,

Your reg is fine. If it's brand new you are in good shape. If it is used (don't think so, but just in case), get it serviced. For recreational diving this is a great reg. If you do a search on the board, you will find a lot of people who have used and are using this reg.

Most tec divers on this board are Apeks or ScubaPro zealots, but there is nothing wrong with Mares regs. The Mares Abyss still out performs the US Navy standards. I have used all of the regs I listed above and also the Aqua Lung Legend. They all breathe very well. As long as you are not doing any specialty diving (very cold water, cave etc.), your reg is fine.

Have fun with your new gift and enjoy.
Dive Smart Dive Safe
:cool1:

MaresMan1:
Relax Alaity47,

The Mares Abyss still out performs the US Navy standards.

Many regs do. That doesnt mean its a great reg. Just means that the WOB at 198ft is good enough for the US Navy.

The Axis is an OK reg for recreational use.
Mares parts are very expensive, so overhauling any Mares reg will cost an arm and a leg. I recently compared Mares parts prices to Poseidon, and they are more expensive than Poseidon. Poseidon used to have the highest prices for service kits for regs. Now, that notoriety belongs to Mares.

I have roughly 40 dives on the MR12 Axis over the last 9 months. It was a quick and expedient replacement for a old Tekna 2000, which I loved for its servo assisted breathing, that just outlived the repair chain.

My MR12 gave me yoeman service, without frills. Not the easiest breather, but certainly breathes better than most rental equipment. It also doesn't cost $400+. It never gave me reason to doubt it; no malfunctions, no excessive resistance.

My wife has the Axis Octopus. This appears and breathes as if it is a yellow MR12 Axis second stage. At roughly 35 dives there have been zero problems with it. I have no qualms with being the potential user of it.

I have reccommended the MR12 Axis to others as a good introductary reg. Lately, the lack of truly easy breathing finally forced me back into a high-perfomance reg, so my MR12 is a backup/loaner.

All the best, James

Thanks for the opinions! Sounds like this will be a good reg for me - we're SoCal divers, so the water's usually 50-60 degrees, which I don't think qualifies as seriously cold diving. :)

Cost is also definitely a factor. A year ago neither of us owned any equipment, and we're just buying stuff as we can afford it. I figure once we each own a full kit, we can worry about "upgrades" in the future as parts wear out!

Frankly, I'd rather blow the money on fun trips to warmer climes than on expensive equipment!

LUBOLD8431:
Many regs do. That doesnt mean its a great reg. Just means that the WOB at 198ft is good enough for the US Navy.

The Axis is an OK reg for recreational use.
Mares parts are very expensive, so overhauling any Mares reg will cost an arm and a leg. I recently compared Mares parts prices to Poseidon, and they are more expensive than Poseidon. Poseidon used to have the highest prices for service kits for regs. Now, that notoriety belongs to Mares.

Guess it must be matter of where you are. Mares parts are far less expensive than Posiden or Apeks here in NYC. I pay 1/3 the price for my services compared to the other regs mentioned.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

Its a nice reg and a great holiday present.

My wife is a Carribean diver who uses a Mares reg. I've tried it myself. It worked quite well on the 100 fsw dive I did.

My only service issue is that my current LDS doesn't service them. Even worse, I left the one that does and don't really like using them. However, the price is reasonable for the work performed.

Enjoy it.

I, along with many of my dive buddies, use the Mares Axis as stage/deco regs. I just got back from Florida where I started using my stage bottles at around 115' and they breathed very well. The Axis is a great regulator for the price. It is very simple to service and is more than adequate for 90% of all recreational diving. Heck, I even have one set up for recreational dives for myself!

Also, as I service different brands of regs I am quite confused as to the posts regarding the high price of Mares parts. I have never found this to be true. They are comparable to the other major manufacturers.

Greg Barlow

Oh get off the Mares kick Greg!!!

heheheh

The Axis is a marginal, bottom of the line reg.

It's OK for Rec use, and our parts for that reg aren't any more expensive than anything else.

I'm sure you're not hiding anything Greg, as I had read your posts about it before, but just to let those of you here know that don't yet, the Axis came out with a crappy seat that required continual detune-ing (is that a word?) or if you made it breathe like a brick, it would be OK as far as free-flows go.

I guess it became enough of a problem Mares decided to do something about it.

For the folks in our crowd that had bought them, it was too late, they'd already scrapped them for a better reg.

FWIW, IMO, "upgrading" later costs more than just buying the "correct/better" piece of equipment the first time.

If you're a bit of a gear head like myself, and don't mind 3 sets of complete gear, that's OK I guess, but just buy what you "want/need" after doing your du-dilly and deciding is the real "cheapest" way to go.

It might just be the Axis will fit your bill long term.

Yikes! Don't let anyone know that ScubaPro has had several problems with the HP seats on the MK25 first stages! There are a number of them that have even gone back to the factory for retrofitting, as it hasn't been able to be rectified through the dealers.

Ask the guys on the WKPP team why they switched to Apeks. We have one team member on staff at our shop. The HP seats FAIL OFTEN, period. The guys who still use them, including, J.J., use aftermarket seats produced for them by the dozens.

Call someone in the industry and ask them about product upgrades. Mares didn't charge one cent for the Axis crown replacements. This is common in the industry. If you aren't aware of this then most of your diving must be on the net. Those of us who are real veterans know this from making the dives, not just blowing about them.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom