mares axis primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and I almost forgot! Ask ScubaPro fans why they switched from a metal air barrel in the second stage to the current plastic variety. You will most likely hear lines like, "offers superior performance at a better weight distribution". Think so, uhhh? Then why hasn't Apeks and Atomic taken that route? The answer I get from the true industry insiders is that it served one true purpose....it's cheaper to manufacture.

You say that I am a "Mares kick", oh well...

Let's not forget that you still try to claim that you are a regulator expert. You also make such statements as to how Rodale's testing is bogus. I loved your comment about how they don't test their regs submerged. Uhhh....ScubaPro does the same thing. When I worked for the mag, we used ScubaPro's ANSTI machines. Like I said, I worked for them, but don't any longer. I find comments about their testing rather humorous. You regularly talk about how this or that is junk from your own subjective opinions. How many people really trust YOUR OPINIONS? If it weren't for DIVER Magazine and Rodale's publishing ANSTI results, then you wouldn't see the R&D that goes into gear development.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
Oh, and I almost forgot! Ask ScubaPro fans why they switched from a metal air barrel in the second stage to the current plastic variety. You will most likely hear lines like, "offers superior performance at a better weight distribution". Think so, uhhh? Then why hasn't Apeks and Atomic taken that route? The answer I get from the true industry insiders is that it served one true purpose....it's cheaper to manufacture.

You say that I am a "Mares kick", oh well...

Let's not forget that you still try to claim that you are a regulator expert. You also make such statements as to how Rodale's testing is bogus. I loved your comment about how they don't test their regs submerged. Uhhh....ScubaPro does the same thing. When I worked for the mag, we used ScubaPro's ANSTI machines. Like I said, I worked for them, but don't any longer. I find comments about their testing rather humorous. You regularly talk about how this or that is junk from your own subjective opinions. How many people really trust YOUR OPINIONS? If it weren't for DIVER Magazine and Rodale's publishing ANSTI results, then you wouldn't see the R&D that goes into gear development.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the impartial info. I have looked at all kinds of data regarding scuba equipment. My son is also a Navy seal and and a scuba instructor with several years of experience in Tec/Rec. We have both tested a lot of gear. All of the data that I have falls inline with what you have stated (let me just state that I have no affiliation with the HTM/Mares corp, I got my handle from buds in St Thomas (we have place there), when I purchased a lot of Mares equipment).

I personally do not like Scubapro equipment for the reasons that you mentioned, along with being overerly expensive (the FTC is suing them for price fixing, talk to Genesis). However they do make some reliable equipment and I would not tell anyone not to buy it unless I had cold hard facts that it would kill you. As an engineer I know that every manufacturer has equipment issues (this is the nature of the business). I can remember when Apeks was considered crap. They now make very good equipment.

I have been diving with Mares equipment for some time and have not had one single issue. I have had my Mares equipment serviced at the average price for regs, with no issues. I just wish that more people had real data to share instead of ambiguous opinions.

Thanks again. Dive Smart, Dive Safe
:cool1:

I'm a recreational diver. I have been diving with the Mares MR12 and Mares otco for two years now. No problems, breathes great for me, and is average cost to get it serviced.

MM1,

Thanks for the positive response. I have beat the drum for a long time. Heck, if a person buys a major brand reg, you are very UNLIKELY to have serious problems. You can find detractors for products in all areas, not just diving.

I am not trying to beat my chest as to my technical diving expertise...I make dives that often require deco and that is about the limit of my ventures. I don't "lay line" in unexplored caves or dive in wrecks that require the need for helium blends. Heck, I just love to go diving! For example, a wreck dive to 120' on air or nitrox that requires 20 minutes +- or so of deco is pretty much what I do. Yeah, for a while my goal was wrecks in the 200-300' range, but I questioned my motives for such dives. If it is simply to obtain bragging rights, then the motivation is absurd. Too many divers now think that technical diving is a right of passage. That is sad, as recreational/technical diving is not a competition. I'll leave the real competition to the pros. Me, I'll just enjoy my dives for what they are, FUN!

Thanks.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
MM1,

Thanks for the positive response. I have beat the drum for a long time. Heck, if a person buys a major brand reg, you are very UNLIKELY to have serious problems. You can find detractors for products in all areas, not just diving.

I am not trying to beat my chest as to my technical diving expertise...I make dives that often require deco and that is about the limit of my ventures. I don't "lay line" in unexplored caves or dive in wrecks that require the need for helium blends. Heck, I just love to go diving! For example, a wreck dive to 120' on air or nitrox that requires 20 minutes +- or so of deco is pretty much what I do. Yeah, for a while my goal was wrecks in the 200-300' range, but I questioned my motives for such dives. If it is simply to obtain bragging rights, then the motivation is absurd. Too many divers now think that technical diving is a right of passage. That is sad, as recreational/technical diving is not a competition. I'll leave the real competition to the pros. Me, I'll just enjoy my dives for what they are, FUN!

Thanks.

Greg

Greg,

We are of like minds in our diving criteria. Bottom line to me is it should be FUN, for enjoyment. I tend to be on the equipment junkie side of the pond and love playing with the toys.

I have enjoyed this board beacuse I have learned a lot from people with a diverse range of experience. What really bugs me as an engineer is people who make negative statements without any facts to back it up.

You have been straight forward with your comments and data. Keep up the great info work, as it is very refreshing.

Happy New Year and all the best in your diving and life adventures.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

Actually guys, it isn't the seat on the Axis octo that is the problem, it is the teflon crown that is the problem (for the most part and even with the Axis second brass crowns are the norm...) I've fiddled around with the Axis(es) a bit and you can in fact find crowns that will replace the teflon crown with a brass one that will match the threads and size properly. The problem with the teflon in the Axis octo is that it tends to "roll up" or crush over time which leads to free-flows at the seat, but not because of it...

Chris,

Mares produces a kit that has the new style crown for the Axis. The crown is green in color to allow techs to identify ones that have been converted. There is no charge for the service or parts. Hopefully, all of the problem regs will be converted over soon. It appears from my experience that most of the regs displaying the problem have it crop up within the first 100 dives or so.

The intent of the move away from the brass crown was to (hopefully) extend the servicing time by not leaving such a sharp depression in the poppet seat. This indentation is the "Achilles Heel" of regulators. A floating seat such as used by ScubaPro and Atomic has a lot of merit. I have found over the years in servicing regs that this is the number one problem in second stage leaks. On my own Mares regs, I flip the seat over with each rebuild to "double" the life of the seat. If a regulator has an adjustable inhalation control, then it should be stored in the full out position to minimize this situation.

Greg Barlow

Good to know, I'll prod the owner of the shop to order some of the replacement brass crowns for those regs, we've had a lot of customers get quite upset at their octo's failing so soon - it'll be nice to have a manufacturer's (non-hack) part to use....

I've been using my MR-12 Axis for over a year now and have been to Cayman, Maui, Oahu, and the Florida keys and it hasn't given me any problems at all. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it is a solid dependable rig.

The Mares Axis is a great reg for recreational use.
I don't know where people are getting the parts from but I find that the parts are some of the cheapest.
It breathes great at all depths up to 130 feet.
I have one and have not had any problems with it.
Very easy to service and well worth the price.

Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom