Mares Dragon AT Torso Adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canismajor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just posted this in the BC's forum and I really hope I'm not in error by re-posting it here. If so, please just let me know and it will not happen again. Thanks.

Hello,

Before I raise my question, as this is my first post, I wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you all for a great amount of information. I am not yet certified (waiting until the waters off Catalina warm up a tad) but I'm an avid research nut and am now working out my dive gear list... So, of course, I found my way to this treasure trove of diving and equipment info.

My question is to anyone who has used the Dragon AT BC and particularly to the resident Mares rep.

I was all set to go for the Dragon AT and went to the only LDS in SoCal I could find that had one in XL (and they had it at a GREAT price). I mean, research is great, but ya gotta put it on. So, I got there and tried it on and it was a few inches short on me (I'm 6'1" 240 and working on the latter) so I walked away disappointed and looking at other BCs.

Today I read a few threads wherein the rep mentions a "torso adjustment" that could make a 3" difference - which would make it perfect for me. My thought is that the people at the shop didn't know about this.

Could someone please explain how this works so I can run out again tomorrow to see if that makes the needed difference?

Many thanks!

First off welcome, and diving Catalina is amazing and a great place to get certified.

I can not help you on the question, however I am sure it is adjustable, but I have no doubt Zak or Phil will be around to help you out.

Out of curiosity were the shop people trying to get you to look/buy something else, maybe more expensive?

Thank you for your welcome, tracy_from_oz! It's great to be a part of this group.

As to your question - Well, it's an interesting question, but I don't think so. They did suggest another BC with a similar price that fit me better right off. And, they are closing out all their Mares gear (hence the great price) so one would think they would want to get rid of the Dragon asap.

Ok,

This is very simple to do but a little hard to explain. When looking at the front of the BC, flip up the bottom portion of the top half of the back pack cushion. There you will see two loops of webbing. If you look down from the top between the hard pack and the bladder you will see the same two loops only in a higher position. These two loops are pushed through the pack and held in place by to two plastic pins. Now back to the top cushion. Behind it on the hard pack is a circular plastic piece that covers a bolt. w/ screw driver pry it out to gain access to the bolt. Undo or loosen the bolt which will give you more room the get to the pins holding the webbing in place. Push the webbing, pull the pin. Raise the top half of the bc and put in the lower loops of webbing replace pins, secure the bolt put the plastic back and you have effectively raised the torso close to 2 inches not 3. I hope this makes sense. I think if you start poking around you'll get it.

Good luck,

Zak

Thank you Zak! I only read this after I returned from the shop where they "field stripped" the bc for me and discovered the assembly you wrote about.

I, however, really appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom