Mares Fins with ABS buckle....ouch! am I doing something wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plan A: Spring straps
Plan B: use your thumb, as others have mentioned.

Lifted a fingernail in Panama and bled all over myself in the boat on the way back. This led me to plan A.

once you get the tecnique of using a thumb and finger in oposition it is really easy, especially in the water.
I do worry about the ammount of force it takes to open them and wether they will wear out.
They were worth the effort for me since I'm a dufus and prone to loosing regular straps by opening both quick releases.

haha... Always open the ABS with gloves on. I don't have a problem with them. Heck, I never 'locked' them. Lazy.
And too lazy to modify my Quattros.
But I'm considering an Atomic Splitfins as a secondary.

hmm... as someone who's gone from jets with spring straps to the Quattro Excel's, I find I don't mind the ABS buckles. I had the same problem as the OP on the first day, but once you get used to them, I find them pretty easy to operate.

JcoldwaterIL:
any mares reps have any comments on this issue?

As demonstrated by the comments in the thread, some like the ABS and have no issue, others have had some issues with the lock and tightness of the buckle.

We have listened to all the input and now have the ABS Plus, it operates much easier, has a two button squeeze to release. It comes on some of our new fins and is a running change on others. It is also availible as an accessory/replacement.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Phil

Wochomi:
haha... Always open the ABS with gloves on. I don't have a problem with them. Heck, I never 'locked' them. Lazy.
And too lazy to modify my Quattros.
But I'm considering an Atomic Splitfins as a secondary.

Sure, especially works when you are wearing 5mm gloves. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom