mares icon...to buy or not to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantababe

Contributor
Reaction score
hi
comments please.....should i buy myself the mares icon air computer?

i currently use a sunto viper but i want to treat myself to something i wouldnt normally buy after paying off my mortgage [ok so most girls buy jewellery, handbags or watches me dive gear lol]

i love the idea of the big coloured screen [eyesight not as it should be] love the compass, and also like the idea of going for air Tx

i have read comments re firmwear...is this still an issue or has it been ironed out

a friend of mine has got this pc and loves it, but what do you peeps think?

First of all congrats on paying off the mortgage! My dive buddy has the Icon and loves it. However I just can't get comfortable with the battery. It's a rechargeable and lasts 4 or 5 dives. I'm sure that's enough but when I'm diving on a boat all day that's the last thing I want to worry about.

Other than that it's an awesome computer.

First of all congrats on paying off the mortgage! My dive buddy has the Icon and loves it. However I just can't get comfortable with the battery. It's a rechargeable and lasts 4 or 5 dives. I'm sure that's enough but when I'm diving on a boat all day that's the last thing I want to worry about.

Other than that it's an awesome computer.

thank you

i must admit i loved the idea of a re chargeable battery when i first heard bout tht, BUT i agree not sure im happy with it having to be recharged so much, also if its not used for while it has to be recharged...tht take some getting use to, although i have to do tht with all my camera bits so maybe it wouldnt be too hard to include the pc.. ive been told by my friend to kind of view it like a mobile,,,which needs topping up a lot.

I had a icon hd net ready and the battery life is why I got rid of it. The way the charger hooked up to the computer was a pain as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I had a icon hd net ready and the battery life is why I got rid of it. The way the charger hooked up to the computer was a pain as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

hi thxs for your comment, wasnt it any better by charging by mains ie in wall rather than pc?

I've had the HD Net Ready almost since it first came out and have no complaints (had a problem with a transmitter but Mares replaced it with no issues). First, battery life - I've had 4-dive days with 50% or more battery life remaining at the end. As for recharging, it is quick with the computer and quicker with the wall plug -- it will also accept any mini-usb charger, so you don't have to travel with multiple chargers. As far as the hookup, I think staggsSevin may be taking about the connection to the unit itself. It's a four-pin dongle, and it's a bit touchy so you have to get it just right. But again, I've had no problems. With all that said, regarding your reason for considering it, the screen brightness and resolution are fantastic. Setup and menu system are also very intuitive.

Personnaly, I love it. I bought it primarily for the huge ascent rate display that goes red when too fast and blinks red when way too fast. After using it I'm hooked by all the other features. I especially like the dive profile display and the dive log software. Having the average depth calculated for you is nice too. As far as the firmware - the only problem I know of is the Nitrox dive planning feature is off (too shallow). A Mares rep has told me that the firmware update will be ready near the end of June. I'm not sure what else they are improving beside the Nitrox. Someone on the board had some problem with an update but that sounded like either a beta release or an error on their part doing the firmware update. As far as the charging - I'm primarily a shore solo diver, no livaboards yet, so not an issue for me.

well i bit the bullet and have ordered one, thxs very much for your comments hope i get on with it as well as you guys have

I've had the HD Net Ready almost since it first came out and have no complaints (had a problem with a transmitter but Mares replaced it with no issues). First, battery life - I've had 4-dive days with 50% or more battery life remaining at the end. As for recharging, it is quick with the computer and quicker with the wall plug -- it will also accept any mini-usb charger, so you don't have to travel with multiple chargers. As far as the hookup, I think staggsSevin may be taking about the connection to the unit itself. It's a four-pin dongle, and it's a bit touchy so you have to get it just right. But again, I've had no problems. With all that said, regarding your reason for considering it, the screen brightness and resolution are fantastic. Setup and menu system are also very intuitive.

Yep I was just talking about the connect to the unit itself. I never had a problem with it but I know several people that have and they were to being to hard on it and would break off one of the prongs. I knew someone that literally could not get his to charge but he was just never making contact and paying attention. After you charge it around 5 times you get the hang of putting that clip on.

I never had any issues with the computer and they are very easy to update the firmware on, I've probably updated 20 or so myself. I started out with the non-integrated right when they came out and did the trade up program to the wireless when it came out. The main reason I ended up getting rid of it was to go back to a console because I felt more comfortable with a console......just so use to it attached to my rig. (I went with a cobalt so I still have a nice color screen). And I didn't want to have to remember to put it on the charger every day.....even though I still do that with my camera batteries!

But you won't be worry with your purchase and congrats on paying off your house! (could type a proper response that i'm on a computer and not my phone.

Yep I was just talking about the connect to the unit itself. I never had a problem with it but I know several people that have and they were to being to hard on it and would break off one of the prongs. I knew someone that literally could not get his to charge but he was just never making contact and paying attention. After you charge it around 5 times you get the hang of putting that clip on.

I never had any issues with the computer and they are very easy to update the firmware on, I've probably updated 20 or so myself. I started out with the non-integrated right when they came out and did the trade up program to the wireless when it came out. The main reason I ended up getting rid of it was to go back to a console because I felt more comfortable with a console......just so use to it attached to my rig. (I went with a cobalt so I still have a nice color screen). And I didn't want to have to remember to put it on the charger every day.....even though I still do that with my camera batteries!

But you won't be worry with your purchase and congrats on paying off your house! (could type a proper response that i'm on a computer and not my phone.

thanks. been most helpful

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom