Mares MR12 DFC Axis Pro Regulator 2nd Stage slow air leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dinger340

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently purchased a the MR12 DFC Axis Pro Regulator 1st, 2nd, octo. Item was brand new w/ warranty cards from a trustworthy private seller. While in Bonaire recently on about my fifth dive, my second stage started to slowly leak air. I would submerge the 2nd stage in water mouthpiece down and hit the purge button and initially this seemed to stop the leak. Unfortunately the problem worsened and I feared a full on free flow at depth. The boat captain graciously loaned me his Mares Proton rig for my last boat dive of the day and I then swapped out my 2nd stage and dove the remainder of the trip with my Octo, which worked well and breathed awesome to 104 feet. Fortunately, I had an extra backup air source. I'm just wondering if the 2nd stage just needs detuned or if the problem is more serious. I'm also wondering if I'll be hassled for warranty work due to an internet purchase. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...Seller is in Connecticut and I'm in Colorado...

The Axis Pro has not been manufactured for a few years, so it is likely that the problem lies with the passage of time. The second stage valve assembly on the Axis (and most other regs) has a small, soft seal pressed against a hard plastic orifice to create a leak free seal. While in storage, the valve assembly spring pushes the two together. After time, the indentation in the soft seat becomes too deep causing a slight leak like you describe.

The solution is simple. Have a technician simply flip the soft seat over. Mares uses a press fit on the soft seat assembly, and the reverse side is the same. Ideally, the reg should be tested for stable intermediate pressure and cracking effort. These two tests can be done in less than 10 minutes.

Greg Barlow

I agree with Greg, although I would suggest a new 2nd stage LPressure seat. It sounds like it is a LP seating issue as Greg suggest primarly because the Octo didn't freeflow. If It was a high pressure issue they both would have leaked (most likely). Again have a technician take a look at it to be sure.

Best regards,

Back
Top Bottom