Wanted Mares proton faceplate/purge cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• F8B0EA58-C27A-4BFC-878D-BF0D2AE600D5.jpeg
    F8B0EA58-C27A-4BFC-878D-BF0D2AE600D5.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 44
  • BDF6F471-85B8-40BA-9ADF-04ED0E9C3DBF.jpeg
    BDF6F471-85B8-40BA-9ADF-04ED0E9C3DBF.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 43
I’m also looking currently. Thank you
If you want to send me the remains of the original (to take measurements from) or are willing to take measurements with a decent set of calipers for me, I can probably make some.

Respectfully,

James

If you want to send me the remains of the original (to take measurements from) or are willing to take measurements with a decent set of calipers for me, I can probably make some.

Respectfully,

James
I'm on vacation, so won't be able to send out anything for two weeks. But if you haven't gotten anything by then, I can send you an unbroken original for a pattern.

But IIRC (I'm not 100% sure), the problem is that the part that breaks is made from a synthetic rubber that has to give to allow the purge. You can't replace it with a solid 3D printed plastic part.

I'm on vacation, so won't be able to send out anything for two weeks. But if you haven't gotten anything by then, I can send you an unbroken original for a pattern.

But IIRC (I'm not 100% sure), the problem is that the part that breaks is made from a synthetic rubber that has to give to allow the purge. You can't replace it with a solid 3D printed plastic part.

I'll be using 95 duro TPU... Flexible filament. I've made SP 109 and AL Micra purge covers out of it with success. I can also rework the design for rigid plastic with a button (ala G250 or Conshelf).

Respectfully,
. James

What a helpful bunch we are.
The Proton was the first stage on the first reg for both my wife and I. It's very light and compact, breathes well and just works with no external adjustments to bother with. It's a great travel rig, especially when paired with the cute little Mares 42 second.

We used them quite happily for years until I put my finger right through the purge cover of one of the octos. Thankfully this was while doing a thorough cleaning after a dive trip.

I've switched to Proton metal regs and my wife isn't currently diving, but I'd love to see a solution that would allow these to keep going. They are simple, downstream regs that are easily adjusted and serviced and all the service parts are still available. Used ones appear fairly regularly at very reasonable prices. The only flaw is that purge cover. But it's a huge one.

I've been looking on our auction sites and by far the most common is the ruby with the odd Instinct and Rover here and there.

I really want to try a side port all metal abyss (?) second stage . If anyone would like to lend me one to play with for a bit I'd be most grateful, of course I'd pay all shipping costs.

Obviously cosmetic condition doesn't matter neither does whether it's currently functioning or not. My main reason is increasing my own knowledge base and pure curiosity.

Thank you.

PS almost since Shinzo Abe was assassinated auto correct on my phone keeps changing "and" to "Abe"... weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom