Wanted Mares proton faceplate/purge cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really want to try a side port all metal abyss (?) second stage . If anyone would like to lend me one to play with for a bit I'd be most grateful, of course I'd pay all shipping costs.
I've got a metal Proton you can play with if you are interested. All the Protons have the side port.

On the names... Mares has always packaged a first and second together. They originally just used one name for the whole set. The all-metal second that we now call Abyss had a different name and faceplate depending on the first stage. It first appeared as the Voltrex and came with an MR12, the Abyss name came with the brand new MR22, the Orbiter came with the V16 and the Ruby with a V22.

When Mares abandoned the budget Voltrex version, the 16 first stage and the Ruby poppet, the Abyss name was the last version standing. It certainly didn't hurt that the Abyss version was the one that made it through the US Navy cold water trials and was used by Mark Ellyatt to set the solo scuba depth record at 313m in 2003.

I've got a metal Proton you can play with if you are interested. All the Protons have the side port.

On the names... Mares has always packaged a first and second together. They originally just used one name for the whole set. The all-metal second that we now call Abyss had a different name and faceplate depending on the first stage. It first appeared as the Voltrex and came with an MR12, the Abyss name came with the brand new MR22, the Orbiter came with the V16 and the Ruby with a V22.

When Mares abandoned the 16 and the
Wow, thank you that would be awesome. I'll follow up via DM. Cheers.

@db_cooper and @lowwall ,
Tentative first draft designed... Some key info needed: Is the retaining ring that screws into the reg body a separate piece (like most) or integrated into the purge cover?
If separate, all I really need is total diameter, thickness and width of the outer rim (where it gets clamped between the retainer and the diaphragm), and the height of the inner center surface above bottom of the outer rim (how high the diaphragm stands above it's outer rim).
If it's integrated, I will probably need a hands on example to check the the thread pitch/diameter, etc.

FreeCAD 0.19 8_19_2022 10_36_56 AM.png

Respectfully,

James

Black NLA. Only yellow and I imagine that's not long for this world either. I'll follow this up with you by DM later today.
Thank you. Looking forward. Maybe you have the service kit too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom