Mares Puck too conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terry,

Sorry mate, wasn't trying to sound like a jacka--. I was thinking also that maybe the HW Open Source computer is for you then, you can program it to your heart's content!

No problem. It's more of a case of "knowing how sausage is made" than anything else.

The most reliable software I know about is in the Space Shuttle, and even that had (and maybe still has) bugs. I have no illusions that even a $3000 dive computer is bug-free, so I prefer to pre-generate the dive plan and print it out.

Undoubtedly, vPlanner also contains bugs, however having the chance to give the dive plan a sanity check before actually diving gives me great peace-of-mind. Also, many bugs cause crashes, which is a non-event on the surface, but would be a problem underwater.

Terry

Jacky Boy. You really have to do some more research than just reading catalogues man, no offense- I havnt just read catalogues. A magazine article gave me cause to doubt one aspect of the Puck. I have also looked through the manufacturors catalogues. I've read hudreds of user reviews on a range of dive computers. Ive posted this thread to find out more, and although Ive pretty much made my mind up on the Puck from what I know so far I will also ask at a local LDS. Unfortunately the one I know has a small selection which is about 20% more expensive than the one where I dont know the people there. So I want to know a bit about what Im talking about incase I end up with someone whos more of a sales person than a knowledgable diver.. You have to sit down with an Instructor and get them to explain the different models to you. Above is a lot of information as to how not to use a computer. "Hanging it over the side of the boat? Gekko hacking?" FFS... Don't bother.- hanging over the side was certainly not encouraged in this thread. And in regard to hacking the Gekko, as I said "I'll consider it if it doesnt void the warrenty" I think you can gather how much I intended on doing that.

Do yourself a favour and get yourself a decent computer to start with.Thats the point of this thread. The Puck is so cheap, yet has all the features one would expect from a more expensive computer. Or so it would seem. So what is it lacking? Many reviews have said its a bit too conservative. I assume from their experience of other computers. Is that what makes it so cheap? Because less effort has been put into the algorythem so to make sure it doesnt kill anyone its just been made very conservative? Thats not a statement by the way, its a question. Is the puck a decent computer for my needs and future needs? Why would you buy a Puck or a Gekko anyway if you want to move into tech diving?I dont have any plans to move into tech diving. Its not something I would rule out, but I certainly wouldnt invest into the £1000's just on the chance that years down the line I might. That's like learning to drive a Toyota IQ really well when you want to drive a WRX in Rally. If you want to see wrecks at 40m, you're not going to do that within the No Deco Limits, so you're going to need to do Deco Procedures.Which computer would you reccomend for that, and which would you not? It takes time to see these things. Diving especially in Scapa Flow is not an easy thing, and takes a decent amount of training.As Ive stated a few times, im certainly not planning on doing anything without the training. Scappa Flow is an ambition that I hope to achieve within the next two years

In terms of algorithms, don't get too strung up on it. All the computers these days are generally based on a Buhlmann algorithm. The RGBM algorithm (although it sounds pretty) is essentially a bit of a clever gimmick - it doesn't really implement a true model, it is a modification of a Haldanean model. It throws more stop time at you if you ascend quickly, or throws a 2 minute pyle-ian "deep stop" in to control fast tissues.

Not only that, if I remember correctly, deco on RGBM model computers like Suunto and Mares sees the computers reverting back to Buhlmann 16 or 8-compartment anyway.

Please dont be offended by all the red writing. Its just that its clear you havnt propperly read the thread, and have therefore made assumptions that arnt helpful and could have been dispelled. You seem to know alot about computers, and its that sort of brain I selfishly want to pick for free in my quest to find the perfect diving computer for me.
Please dont be too put off to answer the questions I asked in red, and I really do appreciate all help offered.

The Puck works fine, you can adjust how conservative it is. I did find my old Mares Tutor putting me into deco before others diving the same profile, but have not noticed this happening with the Puck. I like mine, durable cheap and reliable. The log download is problematic on a Mac.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom