Question Mares Silver Knight BP&W parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shovelshort

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Mares XR BP&W BCD. While rinsing out the bladder after a dive in Gran Turks last week I lost the rubber plug in the blanked valve on the lower left of the BC (went down a drain). I always planned on replacing it with another dump valve on that side too so no big deal, but I don’t know where to find one. Mares website doesn’t show anything and even though my LDS sells Mares, I’m not real confident they’ll have something (I’ll check obviously). Where can I find a Mares replacement? Are dump valve sizes universal? Can I use just any manufacturers? I would also like to replace the cord and handle on the existing valve (right side bottom) because it is small and hard to find (afraid skinny cord will break as well). Again, can I use just any manufacturers? Thanks in advance.

If anyone was wondering, this is my first BP&W and I absolutely love it. I went with this set up about 2 years ago because I got a great deal online (like just over $400 new).

I'm not sure exactly which part you are looking for, but here's the schematic and parts list. If you Google "Mares" and the part number, you can usually find it. Although mostly from a handful of European dealers. But any US dealer should be able to order it as well.

Sorry about the formatting, but I'm on vacation and this is the best I could do on my phone.

Attachments

• bc-silver.pdf
    972.8 KB · Views: 78
I would also like to replace the cord and handle on the existing valve
Feel the valve first, then "pinch" to grasp the string and lift. (Fingertips still touching the valve gives a very precise release. It doesn't require much force at all.) I tied a knot in the string as close as I could (it's about a cm away). Bare hand or dry gloves, no problem.

I'm not sure exactly which part you are looking for, but here's the schematic and parts list. If you Google "Mares" and the part number, you can usually find it. Although mostly from a handful of European dealers. But any US dealer should be able to order it as well.

Sorry about the formatting, but I'm on vacation and this is the best I could do on my phone.
According to this drawing I lost the item labeled #5 but want to replace with the items labeled #2 and #3. My BCD is the Silver Knight but I’m sure everything is the same. I searched those code numbers online and didn’t find anything. I guess I always thought that going with a BP&W meant easily replacing pieces and parts?

Feel the valve first, then "pinch" to grasp the string and lift. (Fingertips still touching the valve gives a very precise release. It doesn't require much force at all.) I tied a knot in the string as close as I could (it's about a cm away). Bare hand or dry gloves, no problem.
That is what I do, still not super easy to find. Still concerned I’ll break the thin string one day.

I guess I always thought that going with a BP&W meant easily replacing pieces and parts?
Generally that is the case, however the exception can be with some brands using proprietary parts. Most people refer to replacing parts of a BPW primarily in terms of wing, harness, plate, etc. Most don't do much repair of the wing it'self. Looking at the parts diagram that was posted above, in your case I would order this: DGX BC Overpressure Relief and Dump Valve , and assuming it won't match the threads on the Mares flange, plan on using the the string, spring, plunger and seal (parts 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 as shown on the diagram above) with the shell you already have (part 1 on the diagram). If you want a thicker cord, usually they are just knotted in a recess on the plunger (part 3) and the pull (part 7). Source a cord you like, and be prepared to drill out the holes a tiny bit if needed to fit the thicker cordage.

Respectfully,

James.

Back
Top Bottom