Mares Syncro Tech 2002 VS Seaquest Raider VS Dacor Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butch103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am currently looking at all these three BCs to go to the back inflate. I have determined that the OMS/Halcyon are not for me at this time............What are the thoughts out there....I have read the threads re the Mares , but what about the others......Thanks for the opinions......BTW no arguements re the backplate styles (OMS/Halcyon etc) vs the backinflate. Lets confine the opinions to the three...........

I've got the Dacor Rig Pro (the Rig with the backplate and a monster amount of d-rings).

It works great, but it's a beast of a BC.

I've got the medium, but it fits more like a large. You'll definately want to try one on before you buy. I had to weave a weight belt through the backplate to make it stay. It works great though.

I've got more places to attach gear than I know what to do with, and once you've got neutral buoyancy it's very easy to maneuver in. I found it to be a little more comfortable than the Dive Rite I used in certification.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
Maybe I can help...

I have been the BP/wings route, then went to a Mares BC then back to the BP and wing - because I hadn't gotten the bugs properly worked out of my BP rig from the get go. If you can, TRY and see if a LDS will let you dive a rig or two and make your own evaluations..for yourself.

I went to the Mares Syncro Power Tech BC because it looked like it'd be good for rec diving. Diving it I found the back inflation worked well and buoyancy was fine, but I couldn't actually see or feel the shoulder mounted D-rings nor access the zippered front pockets with the BC on and in my 6.5mm cold water wetsuit on...so they were practically worthless to me. I found the cummerbund’s proportional 'fit' not the same as the rest of the BC. For example, the BC fit the chest area perfectly, but when the cummerbund was let out more, the ends no longer would attach via Velcro to the back 'spine' area. That seemed like an oversight on design to me. Could have just been the way it fit me. I found that wasn't an issue with BP's.

I'm sure you know what you are seeking and why, as I did as well. But I found what looked great in the ads didn't 'work' as I expected after I had read through all of the features Mares listed on the BC. I mean, 4 or 6 D-rings sounds very useful in the ads, but heck, if you can't REACH any of them, or even SEE one of them, how could they be useful?

I wound up going back to the BP and wing and won't go back.
Hate to see someone make a costly decision like mine was, so if you can get with a few rigs and try them out - go for it. It might same you some time, money and aggravation.

Your BC history is longer than the last Dave Matthews tour venue list...so which came first, the jacket or the wing?

:wink:

Scuba446,

I am glad you have found a system you like now.

Remember the most important thing is to dive safe and dive often.

Chad

The wing, he was an expert, then he hated the wing and talked trash about it. Then all of a sudden it's the best thing in the world.

Confused? So am I.

I wish that I could tell you that one of these was better than the others, but all 3 represent over-stuffed over-featured BC's that look like they came out of the marketing department rather than being designed for divers by divers.

Try looking at the following:
Seaquest Balance
Zeagle Escape or Scout
Transpac 2 with Travel Wing

If you really can't stand the minimalist designs that I have mentioned and have to have the husky stuff, then go with a Scubapro Nighthawk, Zeagle Ranger, or Seaquest Black Diamond.

ckharlan66,
Yup, at this time I'm just going to log as many dives as I can before purchasing any addition tanks, regs or computers, etc.

After about 100 logged dives, I should have a better idea whats good, worthless, and necessary.

I bought a raider recently, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I didn't buy it becuase it looks like a tech bc, i bought it because it fit well and felt good. Not to mention it provides more than enough lift for cold quarry dives around here. I bought mine used, and considering the price of a new one, i probably wouldn't have gone this route. I have looked at the dacor and the mares , but the Sea Quest seems a lot nicer. I have heard a lot of great things about the Balance as well, and I might look into one of those for travel. If you are interested in lighter duty back inflate bc's like the balance, you may also want to look at the Aeris Atmos XT. It too is very comfy and light weight and also affordable with a retail price i think around $450.

I'll have a better opinion on the raider next week when I get to try it in the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom