Marine Biology - Distance Learning or On-line questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Scuba_dog,

have you talked with professors doing interesting research? Most of them will be quite happy to explain you what the requirements are. It's not unusual to have people participating part-time/on a voluntary basis in a lab. You might be able to the theoretical coursework by yourself and the practicals over a holiday. Ecology, conservation policy, survey methodology,... could be taken in a general biology curriculum and then applied to the marine ecosystem.

UC Berkeley has a decent marine science program. They also have a research diving program too. They used to use Bodega Marine lab as their site? Probably still do? BML :: Scientific Diving Program My favorite lab in the United States is:

Marine Biological Laboratory

I'm not sure what the UK has to offer - I would imagine there must be some universities which conduct studies out of port towns?

Cheers,

X

This is probably not exactly what the OP was looking for, but there is also an online course focusing on coral reefs at the Beautiful Oceans website (I'm too new to post URL)

Good luck-
Dida

Hi Scuba_dog,

I discover your discussion from 3 years ago just now and would like to ask you if you finally found something? I wish to enroll as well in online Marine class to be able to take part of research expeditions or conservation project.

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Best

I found a couple of programs, online, they have six courses to receive a certificate in Marine Science. After four core classes, there are six elective including in the water research stuff to do.

One cost about $3500 USD for the full course, the other was $2400 USD, one from an Australian university program, the other from Great Britain.

I also found and signed up for a Marine Biology course online from Universal Class Universal Class: Learn Anything. Learn Anytime. Learn Anywhere. , the class fee was $40 without CEU certificate, $65 with. I'm enjoying it, not a rigorous course, but informational.

I am like the OP, I'd like to get more education in MB, but its well outside my daily work and activities other than diving.

This is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a free, online course in ichthyology at FISH ON LINE. As far as I know, there's no official certificate or credit for completing it, but if you're just looking to learn a bit more about marine life, why not give it a try? It's all online, and you can pace yourself... It even has exercises so you can check your understanding. I haven't done all of it myself, but I have read parts of it and it seems fairly in-depth...

Has anyone completed the Newcastle University's Delve Deeper distance learning? Any feedback/reviews?

I am interested in that program because it has the field course component.
I am not from UK, so the module on coastal waters of the UK may not be as relevant to me.

Are there similar courses in North America?

Back
Top Bottom