Marketing: Are we ok, or do we need help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this thread about fixing the problems with the existing scuba industry and the existing people who dive who support the industry,
or
Trying to increase the entire volume of divers and industry?
I'm confused now.

Trying to fix what's left isn't going make more divers.
Mass marketing to non divers is the only thing that will increase overall volume.

RJP,
Hypothetically speaking, if you were given the job to mass market scuba diving and increase the volume of divers and worldwide, no budget, no rules, everything on the table, as many people and resources as you need but you are the man solely responsible to make this happen,
how would you do it?

Notice I didn't say industry because industry would follow demand.

RJP,
Hypothetically speaking, if you were given the job to mass market scuba diving and increase the volume of divers and worldwide, no budget, no rules, everything on the table, as many people and resources as you need but you are the man solely responsible to make this happen,
how would you do it?

Faulty premise.

I wouldn't "mass market" scuba diving, because it's not a "mass market" product. Toilet paper and sneakers and soft drinks are mass market products. Scuba diving is a "niche" product.

Besides that, the idea of asking what I would do if there was "no budget, no rules, everything on the table, as many people and resources as you need" is so absurd that it actually makes the question harder to answer rather than easier. It's like asking an engineer what they would do to improve automobile fuel efficiency... assuming the laws of physics were suspended.

As an example of what I might do if I had "no budget, no rules" to promote diving, I would pay every person in the world over the age of fourteen $1,000 to attend a Discover Scuba Program. You gotta figure some of those people will actually find out that they like diving, and end up pursuing the sport. And, each of those people would have $1,000 in hand to pay for certification and some gear.

:d

But seriously, the answer to your question is that marketing is not about having the answer, but rather about knowing how to find the answer. That's what people like me do. We don't HAVE the answers, we simply know how to FIND them.

Step one - figure out what the current issue is: "Why don't more people dive?" Anyone who says they know the answer - without having done adequate, well-controlled market research - is simply making s--t up, and shouldn't be listened to. (Hint: people already in the industry are the least likely to already know the answer. As proof of this, I'll offer the fact that they haven't solved the problem yet.)

Step two - figure out which segment of people who don't currently dive can actually be motivated to do so. Some can't. Move on.

Step three - of those who CAN be motivated to dive, determine which segment(s) can be most efficiently reached (budget, resources, rules, etc being a reality). Suppose you discovered that the Amish, American Indians, and people who lived more than 100mi from a scuba training facility were most interested in diving? Their media consumption habits make it nearly impossible to target them with your message. Suppose you found that NYC was a great market? Media and promotion costs in NYC are crazy expensive. A market of a quarter the potential in Cincinnati or St Louis is far more cost effective to reach.

Step four - if you want to be really good, you'd go the extra step further and figure out which segments will a.) pay the highest prices for training, b.) buy all their own gear, c.) dive locally and/or travel multiple times per year to dives, and d.) stay with the sport the longest over time.

Step five - craft a motivating message to get our identified audience to take action; this is not about getting a celebrity to say "everyone should try diving" because nobody know's who everyone is, much less thinks they are part of "everyone." As a made up example, suppose we found a large segment of the population were HOH (head of household) with 2+ kids who feel like their families are all going their seperate ways and are craving some sort of thing they could all do together? You can imaging that the message to them would be very different than if we determined the best target audience was empty nesters looking to get out of the house now that they have the freedom of their kids being gone. Compare that to the potential message if the target audience was single 25-34yr old males looking for adventure and hot chicks?

Step six - determine the tactics and media to reach our target audience with our message. Channel and media selection vary greatly depending on target demographics, and are often very counter-intuitive. (eg, we have a client who's target audience is largely indigent. Would you try to reach them via TV, print, or a smart-phone enabled website? Turns out that most indigent people in this group don't have TVs... but they do have web-enabled smart phones.) We've got media/channel planners that can figure out how to reach 6'2" left-handed Hispanic lesbians... if that's your target audience.

But even those steps would vary depending on the objectives. Do you want the industry to create more divers, or to make more money? Two very different things. Think about Timex vs Rolex? Which one sells more watches? (It's not even close.) Which one makes more money? (It's not even close.) In my absurd example above (Paying people to take a DSD) I would refine the rules of that approach significantly depending on whether your objective was volume or profitability. (eg. I might limit participants to those people who lived in zip codes where the mean household income is at least 10x the federal poverty level, in order to ensure that those who discovered they liked diving could actually afford to do so.)

Reading over RJP's post on how one might go about promoting scuba to increase the # of divers, I'm reminded of discussions of what PADI did:

1.) Break up training to make it modular, with a lower burden of entry. Quicker & easier to bring in more people. Then sell them more courses later.

2.) Emphasize the fun of diving. Materials feature people who look just short of ecstatic to be diving, often attractive young people.

This has led to more people certified to dive, & PADI not only amassing a large market share but also increasing the market (at least in certifications out there; I suspect the # of active divers has grown some too, though not as much).

But a lot of people are critical of the effects of the 'PADI-ization' of dive training (as in a number of other agencies have imitated PADI's approach).

How big do we want the scuba diver base to be? Double what it is now?

Is this to share the job with fellow humans, advance the hobby (e.g.: create a larger market to attract more technological advanced in gear) or just make money?
Note: RJP spoke of a successful business solving someone's program. Which of these problems is the marketer out to solve?

Richard.

Given the stupidity of certain accidents, I'm all for less divers, better training to weed out poor skills and unsafe attitudes, and ways to make more money. Honestly, it's worked for one agency.

This next point of view isn't an attack on drrich2, since I've read several posts in SB this week in various threads that support the PADI model and that somehow it has been good for diving. Has it? I don't know. I'm not blaming PADI, but the industry is in trouble, yet people talk about how good PADI has been for it. Maybe it has? Maybe it hasn't?

But, since diving isn't thriving ... :confused:

When I was 13 years old and went into my first dive shop with my mother in 1981, she talked my dad into giving me scuba lessons because it seemed affordable. My dad took up the sport after I got certified. If she had seen the plethora of advanced education offered today, I think she may have thought diving was a money pit. Not sure, but fortunately for me it was a pretty straight forward process to be a diver.

And none of them can agree on anything.

Well, I dive a backplate, but most SCUBA-related marketing that I see is based on silly gear options like BCDs with elevator buttons, etc.

To put it another way, mountain bikes sell better where there are mountains. Mountain bikes won't sell well in the middle of Kansas.

You could make a broad assertion about people you don't know, in a part of the country you aren't familiar with, and in many cases you'd be dead wrong. FWIW, gravel grinders are all the rage. But don't feel bad, that's the same clueless assumptions I see in most SCUBA marketing.

To be honest, several years ago I put a business plan together for an agency/partnership that could effectively, and measurably, promote scuba diving. From a marketing communications standpoint it would be very straightforward. Strategically, it also included an interesting public policy initiative for which I got favorable signals from people in several state and federal agencies. The problem is that - as mentioned in my earliest post in the thread - for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth by constituencies in "the scuba industry" there really isn't anyone willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Might be time to dust the plan off again. I'd quite literally quit my day job to have a go at it... if there were more than lip-service interest in creating a rising tide that lifts all boats. That would require the initiative to be run as a business, led by marketing, PR, and policy/advocacy professionals. There would be no room for politics, elections, or internecine squabbles.

Trace, if interested, I'd be happy to walk you through the plan. I think your perspective would be valuable. I'm in the central NJ area... perhaps we can meet up for a beer or two and some lively discussion. I think the timing is right for a proof-of-concept test. Shoot me a PM.

There would be no room for politics, elections, or internecine squabbles.

What scuba are you talking about. NAUI just bounced their chairman of the board, I'm sure you looked on with glee at the infighting at NACD BOD, with accusations of drug abuse, cronyism, and basically anything but being a diver, and just find anyone who has something nice to say about Ingram or Bennett.

What scuba are you talking about?

A boy can dream, can't he!?!

Frankly, I don't pay any attention to that type of nonsense. Perhaps that's why I'm naive enough to think there's actually something that could work.

:d

Maybe I should come down your way soon and get your thoughts as well. I think I've got some meetings in Miami in early Feb... could probably sneak down a few days early.

Maybe it's just possible that the reason scuba is declining (if it is at all, I don't know)
is because all the people who got into it during it's boom weren't really divers, just dabblers.
Once the economy goes bad they quit or they find something else and move on.
Maybe scuba and diving in general isn't for everyone and we're silly to assume everybody can be a diver.
I think the industry as a whole will find it's equalibrium at some level and maybe there will be quite a few casualties along the way, oh well.
There already has been casualties but there probably will be more. I'm seeing signs now that online dealers are starting to buckle, there's too many of them and they can't keep giving stuff away.
There are a lot of players out there fighting for a shrinking pie and something has to give.
I think the market throught the 80's and 90's was really pumped and a lot of people got into it that really weren't going to stick around, and that's fine. The problem is the industry got used to that and now it's not there. They will have to re-adjust.

This thread made me think about it quit a bit and I've changed my mind on things.
Why does scuba need to be big with everybody doing it?
I say things are just fine the way they are.
Let it take it's natural course.

Maybe scuba and diving in general isn't for everyone and we're silly to assume everybody can be a diver.

I came from another industry in decline to join this one. That being the Aviation industry. They too are crying about losing pilots and people not flying as much blah blah blah (of course they also have a heavy-handed Fed agency that doesn't much help their issue).

Neither that one nor this one are for everyone. Money AND leisure time are the key to any hobby. Right now, I think its fair to say that everyone is pretty cautious about where they spend either of those. Bang for the buck.

Good service standards, good product standards and good safety records are by far the most important to attracting and retaining the right people for this sport. That if anything is what should be promoted industry wide IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom