Mask fit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BetterLateThannever

Contributor
Reaction score
I am as new as you can get, I haven't even had my first class yet. I purchased a mask and did the test for fit, but didn't think about the need for actually putting the strap over my head. When I got home I put it on and find that the strap seems to irritate the area where my left ear meets the side of my head. Don't seem to have the same problem on the right side. (don't even want to think about what that means).

Anyway, I guess my question is: What should I do? I had a really hard time finding a mask that sealed properly. Will I get used to this minor irritation, will it be different in water, should I wear a dive cap to eliminate the strap running behind the ear?

Please help.

BLT

You may have the strap too tight - which is what a lot of people do at first. If this doesnt help think about getting a neoprene strap which is a lot more comfortable to wear and to take on and off. Everyones features are a little unsymetrical so you may have one ear set a little higher than the other (I have one ear bigger than the other). I was blissfully ignorant of this fact until it was kindly pointed out by my dear husband!

Maggie has brought up some good points already.

The only other thing I can add is actual placement of where the mask strap sits on the back of your head.

Try to position the strap so that the back is sitting up higher on your head... just below the crown. Also, if the mask is fairly new, it will have a sort of wide webbed area to fit around the back of you head, rather than just one width all the way around (older models). Make sure that wider part of the strap is properly placed on where I just described and "opened up"... not folded over in any way.

Hope that helps,

~SubMariner~

Thanks to all,

SubMariner, you were right. I took the mask back to the shop where I purchased it before I read your posting. Sure enough he said I did not have the strap high enough on the back of my head. After adjusting it upwards until it felt like it might slip off, it no longer irritated my ear.

BLT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom