Mask Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has been a cool thread with alot of great things to try. I just broke in a new Atomic framless mask myself. It was a little tougher than my last two but in the end regular crest "non-gel" tooth paste prevailed. I found that a fine bristled tooth brush worked well particularly on the mask "the whole mask". The whole thing was almost greasy and I am sure what contributed to the fogging. The second weekend I tooth brushed crest four times dryed with paper towel. Just before the dive I spit and rinsed it several times. It never fogged. I actually traded with my buddy at depth because his was fogged up. I love that mask and if I have to spit I will. Normally I get by with Sea Drops because some people frown on the spitting but I refuse to miss a dive because of a mask! I believe as shared had I used the baby shampoo it would have taken less work. Good luck with your mask and dont forget to practice mask skills regularly! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I just got an Omer sub Alien mask--they are notorious for their fogging ability. Sure enough I got it into the water and it began to fog like crazy. I tried toothpaste...with a tooth brush...simple green...windex...you name it I tried it. I finally decided to use some powdered Ajax with bleach and used a tooth brush to work it around. My mask doesn't even think about fogging anymore, it's really incredible I don't even have to spit/use defog.

I just tried the lighter trick on my new Genesis Panview. I had majior fogging the 1st 10 dives w/ this mask secondary to cleaning it w/ toothpaste several times. Took a "long lighter" to it then cleaned it up sat it in COLD water for a full minute then put nice hot air in it (I have pleanty of that) NO FOG!! Roatan here I come....just 4 weeks till I leave!!! Im already packing isnt that sick!!

Using spit could be an invitation to conjunctivitis. Just passing this along to those who might care - personally, I like and use spit. But then, I am a vet and probably have a very strong immune system.

keep cleaning the mask with the toothpaste etc (takes ages) once its all done and hunky dory carry a small amount of washing up liquid with you in your dive kit, add a small drop onto each lense, rub it in, then rinse the mask twice,,I,ve never had fogging since i started using this principle and thats well over a 100 dives ago

I just got an Omer sub Alien mask--they are notorious for their fogging ability. Sure enough I got it into the water and it began to fog like crazy. I tried toothpaste...with a tooth brush...simple green...windex...you name it I tried it. I finally decided to use some powdered Ajax with bleach and used a tooth brush to work it around. My mask doesn't even think about fogging anymore, it's really incredible I don't even have to spit/use defog.

This has worked well for me. Good old powdered Ajax or Comet will initally clean your mask better than toothpaste, gels, etc. I learned it from my instructor years ago. Put some of the powder in, add a few drops of water to make a paste, and scrub really well. It only took me one time doing this and I've never had any initial fogging problems with any of my masks. Now a little spit is all I need.

BDSC

hmmm ajax/comet seems to be too strong/abrasive i would think...

I just used toothpaste on my Atomic Frameless and then got some free scrub by Jaws (worked perfect). I love Jaws products, especially their "spit," every time I use it, I know I will have a 100% fog free dive...best stuff I've ever tried (and I've tried lots!)

Back
Top Bottom