Mask on forehead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok:). I wondered if maybe that was the case. I kept thinking "Damn, it don't take much to set these folks off." My next post was going to be "PLEASE STOP!!...I HATE IT WHEN YOU ALL FIGHT!!...CAN'T WE ALL JUST BE FRIENDS!!...;-0" Sorry about the reprimand.

Just a side OMNI note on some of the "flaming". Ive been an active participant in 2 discussion forums related to frequent flying and travel, and if you want to see real flaming & attacking, there's where you should go. Overall, Im very positively amazed at the level of restraint and courtesy that goes around this board, I guess Nitrogen does that to us divers....???? :D

Hey, Zag,

Not one bit of offense taken. If you think that is a reprimand, you have never worked in the oil business. How does a true Texan miss out on working in the "awl bidness" anyhow?

At any rate, dive and enjoy life! You deserve it!

Joewr

Originally posted by scubadweeb
After a week of travelling all over Texas & selling my fannie off,

don't they have another word for that and isn't it against the law?

Just curious

ID

meant distress as rather silly.It is the most natural place to put it,especially if you have to instruct.That's my opinion though.Having it around the neck is unnatural and is uncomfortable.Sometimes I slide it up my arm and it won't get lost there.I have never lost my mask in 16yrs and have seen more danger of it being kicked off by divers underwater who swim too close or are unaware of their surroundings.The only times that I have seen people lose their masks have been when they have taken them off and forgotten to hold onto them or secure them.One option is to rig a clip to your upper BC strap.Necessity is the mother of invention.As to the training,it is to instill good habits into new divers,not to dictate to experienced and safe older divers.
Every one will work out their own preferred way.
Cheers All Ears,
The Gasman

Don Juan the Iguana,

He might have been lost and in Nevada, in which case it would not be against the law. Or, don't I remember something about "The Best Little W.... ....e in Texas"? Maybe he was there?

Or maybe Carl Rove was in town...but we probably should not go there since there might be fanatical Republicans in the house!

Joewr

Just as an OOA diver does not calmly swim up to you, give the OOA signal, and wait patiently for you to hand over your octo or primary. No, your primary gets ripped out of your mouth, pronto!

The only argument that makes sense for not getting into the habit of putting the mask on the forehead is that a wave can easily claim an expensive piece of gear. (Is there such a thing as an INEXPENSIVE piece of dive gear?) And then that's only while you're in the water.

Originally posted by Walter
A very common and often mistaught concept that goes back to the fact so many instructors are incompetent. If you see a mask on someone's forehead it CAN be a sign of distress. It usually is NOT.

[snip]

When a diver is in distress, they will sometimes reject gear, including regulators, and masks. They do not calmly remove their regulator or gently place their masks on their foreheads.

WWW™

Yes and no, this is a moderated board, thanks to their Royal Highneys, King Neptune and Lady Diver.

Jeez, you mean there's a flame board worse than rec.scuba? Now that's BAD!! :wink:

Originally posted by Gaucho

Just a side OMNI note on some of the "flaming". Ive been an active participant in 2 discussion forums related to frequent flying and travel, and if you want to see real flaming & attacking, there's where you should go. Overall, Im very positively amazed at the level of restraint and courtesy that goes around this board, I guess Nitrogen does that to us divers....???? :D

Yeah, yeah just like Joewr said, I was being comical about the big heads, but if the mask fits...

Hee Hee Hee

Laura

Sometimes the satire is hard to pick up on here when there is no tone of voice to accompany it, and it's not the first time a joke has gone over my head...which, by the way, would have the potential to knock my mask off into the water(a little satire of my own).

Back
Top Bottom