Mask question, Purge or not to Purge!

Mask: Purge valve or no purge valve?

• No Purge Valve (its a waste of time and money)

Votes: 103 68.2%
  • Yes Purge Valve (its a good solution)

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Who cares it doesn't matter how you clear your mask.

Votes: 24 15.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I think I've found my mask... TUSA Visualator
It fits may face both inside skirt and outside skirt.
With almost NO nose suction it holds on with a sensation like a soft kiss.
The wiskers still leak a little air though, even after cutting them back a little more.
Low volume and close to the face with a large lens so visability is good.

They sell a chap stick like moustache wax that should do the trick of getting the seal.

After a little research, do NOT use vasoline. The material the masks are made of now doesn't like having a petroleum products on it.

None of the very limited selection of masks with purge even fit me.
In studying the modern designs the dual skirt itself, its designed as a purge valve at your face. The 2nd skirts stop short at the bottom so it works as a valve against your face without having to tip back to catch the air bubble for displacment.

Now granted the borrom corners of the glass lense on the TUSA Visualator is below the bottom of the nose so it might catch a little water?

As far as purge valves go, I can't see what possible effect depth would have on whether you need one. Underwater is underwater, and masks are incredibly easy to equalize - they don't know how deep they are.

It's all about fit. If you find a mask that fits great and is only available with a purge, get it. If I have a choice, I'll always choose one without.

CompuDude:
No purge. One more place to leak. Plus it's harder to equalize the air pressure in your mask. Tried and true will work every time.

I agree. Always hated a purge mask. Always leaked.

I have a purge mask (IST Imperial) and think it has its ups and downs. It takes both hands to hold my nose while I equalize, which is a disadvantage when descending a line, although you can hold on to the line with one hand, stick out the index finger on that hand, and equalize that way. I can sometimes pinch my nose by using my thumb and pinky finger on the same hand, but it's hard to get a good grip.

But what I really do like about the purge mask is that it's easy to get that last little bit of water out from the nose pocket. I hate having saltwater tickle up into my nose, it's just very uncomfortable. So just a quick blow and I'm dry as a bone again. I haven't had any problem with it leaking, although I've only been down about 3 hours with it.

I just tried out my husband's new mask, Ocean Master with a purge, in the pool yesterday. I made fun of him when he bought it because it's big and kinda funny looking. But it's actually pretty comfy and I can reach my nose to equalize when needed, so that's an improvement from the Crystal Vu. I'm going to take this Ocean Master along on my upcoming trip as a backup and try it on a couple of dives and see if I like it. Still think I like my no purge valve CrystalVu better...but it's fun to try out new gear.

Crazy Fingers:
But what I really do like about the purge mask is that it's easy to get that last little bit of water out from the nose pocket. I hate having saltwater tickle up into my nose, it's just very uncomfortable. So just a quick blow and I'm dry as a bone again. I haven't had any problem with it leaking, although I've only been down about 3 hours with it.

I have the Oceanic Ion 2 w/purge; all in all a decent mask, though I'm looking to upgrade my field of view. I've been looking at the HydrOptix, but more realistically at the Mares Demon, X Vision, and the Cressi Big Eyes - none of which have a purge; given the water tickle you mention, I think I may really want the purge in my next mask as well.
I'll repost if I find out otherwise....

cheers,
t

Mask has a purge; it's the bottom seal.

A purge valve seems like a good idea but is not needed if your mask fits well. Most of the masks with valves tend to be higher volume which brings the glass away from your face and decreasing your field of vision. My first mask was an clear Oceanmaster with purge. It was big, bulky, and the silicone turned yellow quickly. I quickly got a new mask after a short while. I think a low volume, black silicone, one or two window, frameless, with pivoting strap is ideal IMO.

I have used the same mask with purge for 2.5 yrs, with no problems with it leaking, etc. And I love the easy, hand-free clearing. Try both and then decide- your LDS should be able to let you experiment. Also, can't just about any mask be modified for a purge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom