mask remove/replace technique - newbie-itis revealed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am a "both breather", by the way. I know this because I kept feeling my mask push away and clear when at the bottom, despite me not doing it "intentionally". The Instructor said that it wasn't a problem. But, consequently, it looks like I'm going to have to start working on this closing-the-soft-palate technique more.

pjhansman....."rabbit all over the place".....yep, that describes it pretty well !!

g1138, "Some people only have enough force for one action". Did not at all consider this--explains some things. Again I learned something new.

Another way to develop the no mask breathing technique and to help with just breathing from the mouth and exhaling from the nose is to stand at a shallow end of a pool with no mask on, put your face in the water, regulator in your mouth and just breath for a period of time. Practice doing this and exhaling from your nose. This will condition you from what is instinctual.

Yes. I'm thinking that a few months of snorkeling practice might have been helpful ahead of time.

Yes. I'm thinking that a few months of snorkeling practice might have been helpful ahead of time.

Yes-- Especially if you dive to the bottom. Lots of airway practise gives one an advantage with scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom