Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just took the PADI full face mask course and all I can say is that I dig em!

The benefits of a FFM are coms, fog free viewing on most models, breathing through your nose on most models, no jaw fatigue, the swoopy factor, full field of vision, positive pressure or semi positive pressure ensures that no water will enter the mask.

The downsides of a FFM are proper training is required, cost, maintenance, crappy field of view on some models(see below), and having to carry an extra mask.

I tried out the Ocean Reef Neptune and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get it quite right on my face. The overall feel felt pretty good until it came time to clear my ears. The quality seemed good until i held a OTS guardian up to it. The field of view absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt SUCKED! It throws your depth perception off to the point where if your at someone next to you's waist you can only see their front and the fins. Think of looking forward with a fun house mirror in your peripheral vision. Had they frosted the sides to kill the extra reflections it wouldn't play tricks on your eyes.

I tried a OTS guardian..........yea I am saving up now. Fantastic build quality, PERFECT field of view, easy to clear, easy to maintain, easy to fit properly, doesn't loosen straps randomly for no good reason. There is a reason that professionals choose them!

The FFM allows a fog free mask which is nice, the positive pressure features of the OTS ensure that no water leaks in. When properly adjusted you can breathe through your nose effortlessly and clear with just a simple touch on the mask.

The Ocean Reef model uses 2 "lobe shaped" pads to block your nose and then you exhale through your nose. The OTS uses 2 blocks that are adjustible and you just shove it in a bit. Otherwise as mentioned a simple yawn will also do ya for clearing your ears.

I do intend to use my FFM without coms until my daughter can get the training, the I will look at purchasing her one and a com system.

The only dislike I had with the OTS was the short hose to the 1st stage(was using borrowed pieced together equipment) The only change I would make is a longer hose but then again, I am 6'4".

The Ocean Reef model felt ok on the fit until it came to clearing my ears.

The OTS felt small on my face until I got the straps perfect with the central point on the harness being located just below the center of my head(like on a gas mask).

The Ocean Reef straps felt cheesy and would religiously loosen up while diving. This was a fairly new mask. It would also freeflow unless tightened up just so.

My air consumption was identical to normal reg mask set up. Then again I am a new diver and my air consumption is slowly getting better with each dive, so take that with a grain of salt.

To sum it up, the Ocean reef for me looked good on paper, but in practical applications it couldn't deliver the same as the OTS guardian.

-Bill

g1138:
Hijacking the thread for a bit:
martinskarin There are many different and safer ways to equalize rather than the pinch and squeeze (valsalva maneuver).
The Valsalva maneuver is a bit dodgey in that you can over do it and blow out your eardrums. It's also quite forceful in my opinion.

Me personally, I just open my mouth and "yawn", using my lips to hold my reg in. With continued equalization practice you can actually open the base of your Eustachian tubes and equalize hands free.

Try searching "Freznel Technique" and VTO (Voluntary Tubal Opening). Both should bring up a few tutorials that will help you on your way towards hands free equalizing.

Just keep in mind, the most important thing to remember is you have to equalize early and often when you first start out with hands free equalization. You should not really hear or feel any large pops in your ears if you're equalizing early and often.
What you describe works for ears but it does not work for sinuses.

I personally can equilize my ears hands free but for sinuses I have to pinch the nose. I have not yet found another way

This is true, but if you're normal and healthy your sinuses should equalize by itself. If you are slightly congested then you will have to pinch your nose to force air into your sinuses.

Some of the posts on this thread could be misleading.

Yes - FFM require training- but it is very easy
No - THERE IS NO MORE vigilant service requirements that you have for your other regulators

I bought a Guardian (actually 2) and the surface communication box.

I absolutely LOVE them. Warmer, better field of vision, no fogging, ever. As long as the mask fits your face - your air consumption will be the same. I tracked this. In the begining my SAC rate was a little elevated - but now it is exactly where it used to be,

No Jaw fatigue at all - which some have and some dont - personally - I used to all the time - now its gone

The communications are one of those things that you can only appreciate AFTER you have them. We dont abuse them, but I can tell you over the last 50 or so dives - we love having them. So many situations came up that being able to communicate has helped with - especially with the diving we mostly do (private boat diving in cold, sometimes zero vis water)

A friend of mine thought I was crazy for getting them - then he started using one. Now - he wont dive without it. In a 3 week period he went from thinking they were a waste of money and time - to being pissed if one of mine isnt available for him.

They are addicting.

There is an added safety value of knowing that if you were to go unconscience - you will still have an air pocket and be able to breath. Also - the mask is virtually impossible to get kicked off.

They really are underrated. My OTS Guardian is now one of my favorite pieces of gear. I have had it down to 139fsw. Deeper - and I go back to a traditional mask.

Equalizing is VERy easy. There is a nose pocket with several different pieces and essentially you just PUSH the mask up and it blocks your knows allowing you to clear. TO be honest - this was a bit of a learning experience and I did call a few dives off in the begining. I had to get the right nose piece situated in the pocket ( comes with several sizes). Once I got that figured out - clearing is as easy as any mask - sometimes easier.

I looked long and hard at the OTS Guardian and at Ocean reef (as well as several others) . In the end - the OTS seems much more rugged. It is a little more - but for me it was worth it.

The only PITA is carrying a spare mask - for emergencies. Taking the mask off underwater is easy - clearing it is easy ( it never floods and with the sem- positive pressure even if you pulled it from your face - you would never know if water got in as it is immediately cleared.

Can never understand why carrying a spare mask is a PITA, never had to use my spare but I always have one in my BC pocket.

Back
Top Bottom