Master Diver specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel that a higher certification like MSD or even AOW should mean "better" diver, not "more well-rounded interesting diver who has more fun".
Understood. You've said this many times.

Your English or reading comprehension need work. You cast doubt and were proven wrong.
"Therefore" whahah

My English Comprehension is fine. TDI Advanced Nitrox is absolutely fine for recreational divers and that is all I pointed out. It is better to take this course and be certified to 40m depth than the Padi Deep course.

Perhaps there is some confusion about the term "Master Diver." The correct term for the certification people are denigrating is "Master Scuba Diver." The former term -- as used in the Navy -- is indeed a master of all things diving-related. There is no such implication to MSD. It only means you've done some specialties in addition to satisfying the prereqs. The MSD card is not required for anything, and is solely for personal gratification. Many people like to have goals; the MSD is nice for those folks.

Perhaps there is some confusion about the term "Master Diver." The correct term for the certification people are denigrating is "Master Scuba Diver." The former term -- as used in the Navy -- is indeed a master of all things diving-related. There is no such implication to MSD. It only means you've done some specialties in addition to satisfying the prereqs. The MSD card is not required for anything, and is solely for personal gratification. Many people like to have goals; the MSD is nice for those folks.
Agree on that. It was a nice goal for me.
I think most of us have voiced their views on the MSD (and AOW) thing more than once

In PADi you need rescue as prerequisite, then you can take Deep, wreck, navigation, night, equipment specialty. Or you can go easy and take fish aware and photography as supplements. Is up to you how much fun you want it to be.

Just remember and I quote a fellow SB member … @formernuke

It’s the PUB everyone is an expert on everything.

Interestingly, I recently took out my NAUI MSD card to put in my wallet as my advanced card is now in pieces. I guess I never really looked at the card when I got it before tossing it into a drawer, but when I took it out, on the front it said 'Master Diver'. Wait, what!? It's supposed to say Master Scuba Diver. Flipped it over and it said that on the back. Not sure why they dropped the SCUBA on the front. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interestingly, I recently took out my NAUI MSD card to put in my wallet as my advanced card is now in pieces. I guess I never really looked at the card when I got it before tossing it into a drawer, but when I took it out, on the front it said 'Master Diver'. Wait, what!? It's supposed to say Master Scuba Diver. Flipped it over and it said that on the back. Not sure why they dropped the SCUBA on the front. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Semantics IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom