Master Scuba Diver...WooHoooo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI MSD:

--Is it a course-no. Can you get it with ANY 5 specialties-yes (IMO that should change).
--Is it at times considered a joke on SB--yes.
--Is it a PADI marketing ploy--of course.
--Does it mean the same thing as the heralded NAUI MSD with it's written and skill tests similar to PADI DM (minus the teaching aspect)-no.
--Is it similar to a college degree-No-I don't think of it in any way similar to my M.Music, but,
the wall cert. is nice to look at.
--"Why pay for the card when you already have the knowledge'? --Asked frequently. Another way of asking why one would be vain. Most people have a little vanity--another way of saying most people like to be recognized for accomplishments, or we'd all do everything annonymously.
Think that about covers it.

Well, in my case, right after getting certified over Thanksgiving last year I went on a cruise and had to show my measly SSI OW card with my seven dives and no other certifications. I'm going to feel so much better in my Caribbean cruise the end of this month when I can show the MD card and indicate I have 51 dives and eight certifications. I was a very good 7-dive diver, and no one really believed that's all the dives I had then, but I was a newbie. Now I'm a better diver and am more prepared to deal with possible scenarios.

Congratulations......enjoy....are you stopping there or going further?

Right now I don't have any plans to take it to the next level, such as DM. At this point, I don't see any reason to go professional. I do however plan to keep learning and taking additional classes when I see a benefit to them.

To address the question that Walter asked of "why buy the card/cert if the knowledge was gained in the specialty courses", I think that everyone else covered the answer very well.

Right now I don't have any plans to take it to the next level, such as DM. At this point, I don't see any reason to go professional. I do however plan to keep learning and taking additional classes when I see a benefit to them.

To address the question that Walter asked of "why buy the card/cert if the knowledge was gained in the specialty courses", I think that everyone else covered the answer very well.

I could not agree more. All too often we are too quick to ask why someone buys something but dont take into consideration there are things we do and people cant understand why. Like cars a lot of people have decent cars so why would they spend ungodly amounts of money for a new one when the old one works just fine? Why would people spend 60 dollars on a steak dinner when mcdonalds gives you a meal for under $10 dollars. Why would people go see a movie for 10 dollars a person when they can wait and see the exact same movie for a dollar out of a rental machine in a year?

People spend their money on things that make them happy and that they appreciate. So if a person spends hundreds if not over a thousand dollars doing 5 specialties OW,AOW and rescue and then decide they want to spend an additonal 50 dollars for the cert and the few freebies they give you no matter if they are nice or cheesy then go for it.

All to often we ask people why would they want to spend THEIR money on something when eventually they will see us buy something in life THEY dont see why we would spend money on.

If you are happy getting the cert CONGRATULATIONS!!!! If not well then go to diffrent certification or specialty and be happy with it :)

I stopped by the Dive Shop last night & picked up my Certification Pack for Master Scuba Diver (that and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee). But what the heck, I enjoyed myself and learned alot.:kiss2:

Awesome Job on the MSD!! I am also starting the MSD (NAUI) and I also view the certifications as a training path to more experience. I am very lucky since we have a top notch instructor here so every time I dive with him I learn. Not to mention the classes give me a certain number of dives which keeps me diving :cool3:

Having the card is definitely not the reason I do the certifications, however I do it for the experience. The one good bi-product of having the cards is that it is impressive to non divers :crafty:

There are lots of opinions on this board and that is another reason why I love reading all of the postings :) I will read someones pointed response to think "devils advocate style" to see what can be learned from it.

That is why I have been hooked on diving .. There is a large education side to this sport which is great and keeps my interest. Nothing is better than being able to take your certification book knowledge and then execute it throughout your dives.

Very good.

I stopped by the Dive Shop last night & picked up my Certification Pack for Master Scuba Diver (that and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee). But what the heck, I enjoyed myself and learned alot.:kiss2:
Congrats :D

Learning, and having fun at the same time ... and it IS an accomplishment, especially with a good instructor ,so why not get the card too ... I would :)

PADI MSD:

--Is it a course-no. Can you get it with ANY 5 specialties-yes (IMO that should change).
--Is it at times considered a joke on SB--yes.
--Is it a PADI marketing ploy--of course.
--Does it mean the same thing as the heralded NAUI MSD with it's written and skill tests similar to PADI DM (minus the teaching aspect)-no.
--Is it similar to a college degree-No-I don't think of it in any way similar to my M.Music, but,
the wall cert. is nice to look at.
--"Why pay for the card when you already have the knowledge'? --Asked frequently. Another way of asking why one would be vain. Most people have a little vanity--another way of saying most people like to be recognized for accomplishments, or we'd all do everything annonymously.
Think that about covers it.

You make it sound like all you have to do is have 5 specialties to get the MSD PADI card.. Last time I checked you still have to do AOW.. You still have to take EFR, you still have to do Rescue Diver..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom