Master Scuba Diver...WooHoooo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next, in relation to the following
I agree that the NAUI MSD cert and the PADI MSD cert are very different, but the above is an oversimplification that I believe gives a false impression. I base my objection partly on personal experience and partly on NAUI's published course requirements.
... and I base my objection as the originator, developer and author of the NAUI Master Diver Program.
I realize that NAUI instructors are permitted and even encouraged to beef up the curriculum and add dives to the minimums published by NAUI, but they are not compelled to do so. The effect of this is that a NAUI course offered by a particular instructor may not actually follow the same curriculum as the "same" course given by a different instructor. Therefore, the only real way to compare PADI MSD and NAUI MSD certs is to look at what each requires at minimum, not at what each "might" include when under the direction of a superlative instructor.
Put it like this, how you get there is each individual NAUI Instructor's business as long as minimum standards are met, but the bottom line is that at the end of the course the student should posses both the diving knowledge and diving skills that are expected of a NAUI Instructor.
I earned the NAUI Advanced cert, and it is nothing at all like the PADI MSD. In fact, it's very similar to the PADI Advanced cert. So the assertion that PADI MSD is equivalent to NAUI Advanced is quite simply untrue.
Today, after the depauperization of all the courses what you say is partially true, PADI and NAUI Advanced courses are similar and nothing is similar to PADI Master Diver, since it is not a course, but rather a recognition patch.
In terms of comparing the NAUI Master Diver cert and the PADI MSD cert, it's not clear cut. NAUI's cert appears to be more demanding than the PADI cert in some ways and less in others, based on the published course requirements available online from the NAUI website. If a current NAUI instructor can demonstrate that the published information is incomplete, perhaps we can make a more informed comparison.
What you are seeing on NAUI's website today is the dumbed down Master Diver Course, which (even in it's stupid state) is completely different from the PADI course, if only in the fact that it has actual dive requirements, skill requirements and knowledge requirements.
  • The overt theoretical knowledge required of the NAUI MSD cert is more explicit than for the PADI MSD cert, which requires no written tests beyond those required for particular specialties and for Rescue Diver.
  • Would it be possible to put together the right suite of 5 PADI specialties with a few non-testable "embelishments" and come out roughly the same, or even more rigorous? ... perhaps.
    [*]For NAUI, some Rescue Diver information is folded in to the course with classwork and a single required dive, whereas for PADI it's a separate required course which takes several days to complete and includes a written test. (NAUI does have a Rescue cert, but it's a specialty and is not a listed requirement for the MSD program.)
    Rescue is built into just about every NAUI course, what a diver would get from a NAUI Open Water Course and the Master Diver course will at least equal what PADI describes as it's, "challenging and rewarding" Rescue Diver course."
    [*]The PADI program requires CPR + First Aid training since that in itself is a pre-req for Rescue; no such requirement is listed for the NAUI cert.
    It, along with NAUI Oxygen Administration (the Jim Corey course), used to be, but unfortunately NAUI has learned how to play the dumb down game too.
    [*]The NAUI cert is more strict with the obligatory dive skills, which include additional work on nav and low viz diving plus search and recovery and introduction to deco diving, as well as the emergency/rescue dive. The PADI cert allows the divers to select which specialties will meet their particular interest, even if these specialties are not specifically designed to enhance dive skills such as navigation.
    The skills area that are there are what NAUI currently considers to be the critical diving skill areas for an Instructor.
    [*]The NAUI cert is less rigorous in terms of the number of dives required to achieve the status. PADI requires a minimum of 50 dives. For NAUI's MSD, the minimum number of training dives is 8 (and one of the eight can be a skin dive).
    In theory, NAUI requires a total of 19 training dives and no "on your own experience dives" to reach that status while PADI requires somewhere between 4 and about 19 training dives plus enough dives on your own to reach 50 total.
In sum, a diver is able to earn the NAUI MSD with a few dives and a lot of study/written testing on theory. To earn the PADI cert, a diver needs a lot of dives and far less study/written testing on theory.
There is still the standard of performance that the knowledge and skills are at the level of a NAUI Instructor, which makes it rather unlikely that your normal diver could complete the class with no dives under their belt except the required training dives.
I am not offering an opinion for or against either approach. They are different, and the differences simply cannot be reduced to blanket assertions comparing various ratings between different agencies.
They are different, NAUI's program is a course with specific desired learning outcomes (dumbed down that they may be from what was originally in place) while PADI's is a $50 vanity plate. That's what I see as the primary distinctions.

Regarding Quero's listing of some exact differences in the two MSDs: It answers a question I asked a long ways back. I wanted to know what NAUI MSD substituted for the 5 specialty requirement of PADI. As she points out, one thing is fewer (instructor--lead) dives (as well as probably fewer overall dives than PADI's required 50). Another aspect to consider is I think the theory part of NAUI MSD is similar to that required of PADI DM (and thus PADI OWSI, as all the theory is covered only at the DM level). And from at least what I've read here & there, the basic dive/decompression theory, physiology, equipment is the same all over. SO-- Having scored a combined 93% on the 8 PADI DM exams I will say it's a whole lot more to learn than 5 specialties, book-wise. Some of the (most important) physiology is included in PADI Rescue Course. Now, I haven't completed my DM course, but I have taught school Band for years. I can attest that I maybe used 20-30% of the total knowledge that I learned in 6 years of college teaching all those years. IF such a small % of the dive theory info. is actually used one has to ask "Which is better, all that theory or more specialty dives?" I'm not sure what NAUI classifies as low-viz dives--I've done one inch viz dives, and night dives--no big deal. So, it goes round and round. As I've said often, I think PADI should restrict the 5 specialties to those that improve dive and safety skills. The 2 MDSs are apples and oranges.

Of course, both PADI and NAUI can go whistle as far as the US Navy's highly prestigious Master Diver qualification is concerned.

So wait, this super duper master diver thingy Thal is talking about, isnt even offered any more? It was the original version??
Not the current version people are getting trained in?

There are two separate conversations going on. One involves some strange need to prove which of the current programs is superior, the other (that I am trying to participate in) involves looking at how PADI started a rush to the bottom with respect to standards by creating programs that were essentially named the same as the programs that the other agencies already had in place, except for the PADI Master Diver which was not a class at all. Other agencies, including NAUI, have followed PADI's lead and I say a plague on all their houses. Sorry for any confusion.

There are two separate conversations going on. One involves some strange need to prove which of the current programs is superior, the other (that I am trying to participate in) involves looking at how PADI started a rush to the bottom with respect to standards by creating programs that were essentially named the same as the programs that the other agencies already had in place, except for the PADI Master Diver which was not a class at all. Other agencies, including NAUI, have followed PADI's lead and I say a plague on all their houses. Sorry for any confusion.

Well, some of us even had an even STRANGER need: To congratulate Parrothead600 - he's the OP, actually - for his achievement.

Hmmm - I wonder if we need therapy....

Well, some of us even had an even STRANGER need: To congratulate Parrothead600 - he's the OP, actually - for his achievement.

Hmmm - I wonder if we need therapy....
Perhaps you should consider it. He got plenty of strokes in the first four pages (and some later) for his fifty dollar contribution. By the time I weighted in the topic had significantly shifted.

Anyway I just picked up my SSI Master diver cert card :cool2:

Congratulations. It is a real achievement and something to be proud of. Welcome to the club, and please don't let a few negative posters dampen your spirits.

...and another thing - how outrageous was it that PADI called their classes for 8-10 year olds PADI Seal Team? Nothing but a transparent attempt to pass 8 years off as Naval Special Forces. But the levels of training are not even remotely comparable...

Back
Top Bottom