Math Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lee3645

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking to purchase some LP steel tanks and with the lower service pressure how do you figure out a good turn pressure? Obviously 1000 psi in an AL80 is not the same as 1000psi in a LP120.

Do all calculated estimates in cubic feet and tank pressure will not matter other than in determining your total available gas.

:D:DYes,skimfisher that was excellent, great info.:D:D

I am looking to purchase some LP steel tanks and with the lower service pressure how do you figure out a good turn pressure? Obviously 1000 psi in an AL80 is not the same as 1000psi in a LP120.

In this instance the ratio formula works well because you KNOW that the AL80 carries less volume. If you are unsure you cannot use this method.

First thing you need to do is get the tank factors: 77.4 (cubic feet)/3000 (rated pressure) = .025 for the AL80

LP120= 120/2640= 0.045

.025/.045 = .55 This means the AL80 contains approx. 55% of the volume of the 120.

Take your useable gas for your smaller tank, for example I'll use 1000psi in the AL80. (Your minimum gas is 2000psi)

Now multiply that number by the above formula. Round for conservatism

1000x.55 = 550 psi in the larger tank or 500.

Turn pressure AL80 (rated 3000psi)= 2000
Turn pressure LP120 (rated 2640psi)= 2200

I will say this - LP120's are huge (but I don't know how big of a guy you are). You might want to look at HP120's instead. They are about the size of AL80's. I had never seen one up until a few weeks ago and was quite impressed.

Of course, you'll need DIN regs for that. But most LP tanks come with DIN valves anyways so it may be worth it to make the switch now. I recently purchased some LP tanks and found it worth while to just switch my reg over to DIN. I prefer to not have to deal with the yoke inserts.

FWIW I have and use a yoke valve on my HP130 ALL the time without any problems. I believe this has been discussed here before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom