Maui dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, to be 100% fair....Lahaina Divers actually charges $20 less than EH and HRA for a Lanai charter. :wink:

But again, everyone has different priorities and opinions, hence more than one operator. For me, I'll stick to the Lahaina Divers boat where I've been able to enjoy the return crossing many times sitting on the bow in the sunshine. :blinking:
Thanks for the correction -- both Dive Maui Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Boat Dives and Rates and Maui Scuba Diving Reservation with Lahaina Divers for Maui Diving Reservations report $119 for their two-tank charter which is what I was going on.

Didn't think to check for other HRA sites: Maui Scuba Diving, Scuba Dive Equipment, Hawaiian Rafting Adventures, Underwater Photo, Scuba Shop, Boat Dives Hawaii, Trips to Molokai & Lanai Of course, now they're offering 15% off if you book online, bringing it to $118. :) And I don't think they charge extra for gear if you need it.

And yes... Charlie has it right that Steve is a character (or two)... but seriously, name one dive shop owner on Maui that isn't! This is part of what makes Maui diving so enjoyable! :D

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I booked myself with Extended for a trip to Lana'i. More variety of scenery apealed to me. Now I wish I had a housing for my Nikon D40, but will probably end up either renting something to take pics with.

I've also heard the shore diving is great too, but will probably have to limit myself to snorkeling from shore with the wife.

44 days to go!

Again thanks, while I don;t post alot, I check out the forum everyday and really admire all the divers that are so willing to give advise and help.

Mahalo!

Jeff

Now I wish I had a housing for my Nikon D40, but will probably end up either renting something to take pics with.
Hi Jeff:

You might email Extended to see what they offer, but onboard the Maka Koa they had a professional photographer who wanted to rent me a 5mp p&s and housing for $40 for the day. He even offered me half-off after the first dive. I didn't take him up on it, but did wish I had a real underwater camera with me.

Jerry

My wife and I are advancded divers, live in ft lauderdale Fl. We have over 350 dives in many varied conditions and depths. I do underwater video and am particularly interested in filming the underwater wildlife. We will be doing the Kona agressor during Christmas and then to Maui for diving out of Kihei from Sunday 12-28 to Thursday 1-1-08. It appears ED, Mike Severns, B&B are the most mentioned outfits. Undercurrents has the most diver write ups for Ed and Mike with them being very highly rated. I'm leaning toward Ed because of the Adventure 3 tank dive offered and Mike as he seems to cater to photographers a bit more but B&B seems to be the one touted on this board with some despairing comments from some who do not seem to have an ax to grind. My interest is seeing the most wildlife for my video taping, safety of operation, proper handling of my dive equipment, consistent operation with a comfortable and well equipped boat. I have read every comment made in these 14 pages, If anyone has any comments on the Kona Agressor or any specific comparison they can Personally make to any of the 3 operations mentioned I would appreciate it. If you have any thoughts of afternoon activities for post diving times or Thursday as it may be a non diving day, that would also be appreciated. Thank you

While on Maui last fall, we hooked up with Hawaiian Rafting Adventures. We did several boat dives with them and rented tanks every day through them. We really cant say enough good about them!! They are a small outfit, taking about 6-8 divers a trip. Two of the master divers are also Marine Biologists. They have extensive knowledge of the marine life and take the time to explain about all it. It was a very relaxing dive...they didnt make us feel like tourists, more like fellow divers.They love diving for diving and care for the environment and the people!! We would highly recommend this company!! 806-661-7333 the shop is in Lahaina. While you are there, rent a tank and dive Mala ramp! We got some great pictures of a few frog fish there!! Aloha!!! Darlene

Pacific Dive - They went out the way to accomodate me after hours. I called them and needed to get a wetsuit for a 7am dive the next morning. They waited for me to show up and then assited me and got me taken care and ready to dive the next morning. I give them a 10+ for service above and beyond.

I always find it entertaining that the Maui Dive Shop, Honokowai location, does not have tanks to rent. And it's a "dive shop"?? (it's the closest store to my resort - but no dive gear).. Oh well, I went to Pacific Dive..

I wanted to weigh in about the shop that the orginal poster was considering as I have read a few things on this board that contradict my experience with them. I got my PADI Open Water two years ago there with Mike (instructor # 151923) and, in short: I had a GREAT experience. considering that I could likely be described as an up-tight neurotic east-coaster, this is High Praise. the place is scrappy (which I don't mind at all), but real, straight-forward and safe. our class dove more than was required for the certification and the pricing was a bargain. I can attest that the equipment is well-kept because an extensive and meticulous clean-up was expected from us, every day, as a portion of course-work. I thought that, as an instructor, Mike was nice, slow and thorough so that nobody got left behind with theory before we got in the water. once in, he was very calm and patient with us and I felt that he paid very close attention to each student (we were a diverse group) as an individual. he is a smart guy, very experienced and I personally feel that he is a generally gifted teacher.
also, because another experience on Maui I had contradicts other reports posted in forums, I'll add that I did not have a good time on a later occassion diving with the nearby Pacific Dive/ing Shop. the rental equipment was fine and the shop was clean and slick, but I was looking for a brush-up dive (which I explained clearly when booking) and, in the end, I felt that I paid too much for too little supervision...the instuctor blew through the vauge-ish dive plans and kept stressing that it was going to be "really easy". but, once in, he was pretty pre-occupied with photographing the dive for the optional $40 dvd that I don't think anyone was really interested in buying in the first place. a really secure diver may have not had an issue with this, but it didn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom