Maui dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Stay on topic, Maui Dive Shops, stop with the attacks..Please...

I am looking forward to some Hawaiian shave ice instead.
16 days and I will be there!

I'm down for the shaved ice, but where can you find "Real" Shaved Ice on Maui? It seems that it is more like crushed ice than shaved ice. I'll be over the first week in June.:D

The little shop in Paia on the left side of the street ( coming from the airport) is REAL shave ice and very reasonably priced. . . .their small size is HUGE!!!

also in Kihei, a little north of across the street from Kam II beach.

Hope this helps! Maggi :)

The little shop in Paia on the left side of the street ( coming from the airport) is REAL shave ice and very reasonably priced. . . .their small size is HUGE!!!

also in Kihei, a little north of across the street from Kam II beach.

Hope this helps! Maggi :)

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out on my next trip over.

So what's with the flaming chickens??? Must be April Fool's Day..

My first boat dives were with B&B Scuba and I must say that they are absolutely fantastic. Not only are they the cheapest two tank dive shop on the island of Maui, but they are also extremely experienced and friendly. I just came back from Spring Break in Kihei and of course I dove with B&B again. Brad, Blessy, Stan, and the Captain are all awesome people, I only have 15 dives but I am constantly reassured when I dive with the crew of B&B. They provide fresh Maui Gold Pineapple, freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, and awesome, and I mean awesome, turkey sandwiches on Hawaii Sweet Bread. Not bad for less than $100. They are the first boat to leave the dock in the morning, we were the first on Molokini, by the time we pulled anchor on the first dive, the other boats were just arriving. I HIGHLY recommend diving with B&B Scuba!

WOW.

This has been a highly informative and entertaining thread!

The wife and I will be in Maui in late May staying on the west side. We have already booked a snorkel trip for my wife (and I) since she doesn't dive and now I'm reseaching a boat trip for just myself.

Looks like if I am reading opinions right, if I want to drive down to Kihei, B&B is top and Mike Severns next. If I want to stay close to where I am staying and dive out of Lahania, I'm looking at Extended Horizons or Maui Divers.

B&B sounds great for me as I have about 50 dives but only 1 boat dive and 2 ocean dives to my name, the rest being in lakes and quarries. (Not much else in Illinois). I don't know about that 5:45am time though. 6:30 sounds better to me. I'll look at both.

Lana'i sounds neat too since we are hitting Molokini and turtle town for the snorkel trip.

Again, great thread!!

Jeff

Looks like if I am reading opinions right, if I want to drive down to Kihei, B&B is top and Mike Severns next. If I want to stay close to where I am staying and dive out of Lahania, I'm looking at Extended Horizons or Maui Divers.

Diving out of Lahaina, for a trip to Molokini, the only one that will get you there is Lahaina Divers. Maui Dive Shop leaves from Maalaea and Kihei Boat Ramp. Extended Horizons doesn't run to Molokini, but instead to Lanai and some of the West Maui coastline.

Lana'i sounds neat too since we are hitting Molokini and turtle town for the snorkel trip.

Diving and snorkeling Molokini are two *very* different things. In fact, if all you saw was the snorkeling bit, you'd wonder what all the hullabaloo about Molokini is.

Has anyone done the three-tanker with Ed Robinson's? According to the web site, it is geared toward more advanced divers and lets divers dive their computers and tanks, rather than an arbitrary dive time. We'll be staying in Wailea for a week in August. Since we'll have just come off the Kona Aggressor, we only want to do a day or two of diviing in Maui.

Yes, we do the 3-tank dives when we're on Maui and LOVE them. The first dive is usually to deeper than 110' and sometimes to 130' when they go to Shark Condos on Molokini. Second dive is usually at Molokini, either inner crater or back wall, limited to about 80' max. Third dive is usually at a S. Maui site and with a max depth of about 50' (usually around 40'). Some of the dives might be live boat dives, which can make reboarding the boat challenging sometimes.

They limit the boat to 10 divers, giving a 5:1 diver to guide ratio, and if you want to dive nitrox, you can only use it for tanks 2 and 3. You're fed pretty well, including muffins, sandwiches, and snacks between dives. You get back to the boat ramp at around 1:00ish, so it's a bit of a longer day, but well worth it in our opinion.

We prefer the 3-tank charters as they work pretty hard to make sure the divers are qualified to do the deeper or more challenging dives. We've only had one 3-tank charter (out of about 12 that we've done) where there was a newbie diver (5 dives post certification). He admitted lying to get on the boat so he could be with his more experienced friends, thinking that they would allow him to do the dives since he was already on the boat. The captain wouldn't allow him to do the first dive since it was to The Apartments, which is a square profile at 110'. Our second dive was on the backwall of Molokini and the DM limited the guy to 60' (stayed with him) while the rest of us dropped to around 80' below them.

I can't say the newbie was very pleased with what happened, but his friends were 100% supportive of the captain and crew's decision to limit his diving, and kept saying "I told you so" during the charter. Apparently he was scheduled for another 3-tanker later in the week, and had to cancel since they wouldn't let him do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom