Maui dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is March off season? Will the dive operators still be going on? I definitely want to do the crater and things like that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Isn't March spring break? Only a break down would cause a charter boat to be out of service then. It should be so busy that you could get a second charter (my fav) so there will be decent light on your deeper Molokini dives. Book your flights and rooms now if you can is my recommendation, likely to only go higher IMHO.

What exactly do you think the locals are saying about you? The Canadian genius who doesn't have a permit and takes incomes from professionals by giving 'free' certs and services?

I'm not speaking of just the local dive professionals -- but since we're on that topic, I'm not taking income away from anybody. It's pretty plain that everybody that wants to be busy, stays busy.

That's a common misperception -- that there's too much competition already. Truth is, there aren't enough providers here to satisfy demand during the high and mid-high seasons.

I only know what went down by your words and how you come across here. Knowing what I do, it sounds as though you came across as doing them a favor. I don't have any affiliation with B&B, but have done a few dives with them and it seemed like they were doing pretty well without your help. You come in with.. what.... 6 months under your belt as an instructor and are going to "help them out" by taking your charity students out on the boat?

I think you're again, reading into my comments a little far. I was looking to provide good service to my students and up until that point had no experience with B&B. People here spoke highly, and they seemingly provided great value. Since that was my reasoning for pursuing the affiliation, I went into it thinking win-win -- they get some more customers (who are somewhat likely to go back to the place they were introduced to, as long as the service is good, even after they do their certification). After the interaction, it was obvious to me that things weren't as glowing as people here made them out to be and it became evident that there was nothing to be gained for me or my students.

Hey KrisB - I do not have to read the proposed rule changes when the EXISTING ONES say what is considered payment. I do not visit the Scuba Board often because of your bashing good hard working folks and your I am right you are wrong attitude. People like you will never change and this board is about diving, sharing experiences. If you had a bad time with an operator, move on! We all have our favorites, but you seem to be an authority on everything. There is so many negatives coming from you that maybe you are in the wrong profession. I have know the people at B&B for a long time and agree with Al that you should have been thrown out. ( there was 2 people on the boat wearing Maui Dreams covers and were repeats on B&B, no problems).

Hey KrisB - I do not have to read the proposed rule changes when the EXISTING ONES say what is considered payment.

I keep saying both proposed and current ones because of the current upheaval of the situation. My point is that neither the potential new ones nor the current ones restrict what I'm doing.

Since you want to keep with the current rules, I'm going to show you what we're working from:

"Commercial ocean recreational activity" means ocean recreational activity conducted by a business for a patron in or on a County beach park or other County property.
"Patron" means any person who contracts to participate in ocean recreational activity.

from Article X. Commercial Ocean Recreational Activity*

We can argue about whether I'm operating a business, but it's of little regard -- the county has redefined that term so loosely that pretty much every individual is a business. The point of specific interest is that individuals I take diving are not "patrons" by this definition, since there is no contract because there is no consideration.

Exchange of consideration happens when the exchange of a product or service (or currency) is agreed upon as a term of the contract.

Since I do not *require* any sort of payment (i.e. not a term of contract), there is no consideration, therefore no contract.

You're right -- accepting gratuities is receiving payment -- but that's not the point of argument. The point is that the gratuities are not required nor expected, nor is there ever an amount agreed upon to make this a contractual element, therefore, by the standards placed by the county, I'm not conducting this commercially.

I do not visit the Scuba Board often because of your bashing good hard working folks and your I am right you are wrong attitude. People like you will never change and this board is about diving, sharing experiences. If you had a bad time with an operator, move on! We all have our favorites, but you seem to be an authority on everything. There is so many negatives coming from you that maybe you are in the wrong profession. I have know the people at B&B for a long time and agree with Al that you should have been thrown out. ( there was 2 people on the boat wearing Maui Dreams covers and were repeats on B&B, no problems).

Dude... Whatever. The bottom line is you haven't had any in-person interaction with me, so you have no idea how I carry myself ITRW.

It's funny how you seem to think that my opinion (positive or negative) is less valuable than that of anybody else's. Whether you like it or not, or you think it looks more like a statement of fact than opinion changes nothing.

The point I'm trying to make apparent is that they aren't the saints that so many of you make them out to be, and there are at least a few operators much closer to sainthood than them.

Regardless, the post that triggered this was actually the start of my attempt to reduce the bashing, but y'all chose to question the credibility of that and past comments which is why this all came up again.

The point I'm trying to make apparent is that they aren't the saints that so many of you make them out to be, and there are at least a few operators much closer to sainthood than them.
I suggest that readers look at some of KrisB's posts about other operators to put his comments about B&B into context. For example, KrisB had several posts very critical of ERDA / Ed Robinsons also, such as
......, I've dove Ed Robinson's a fair bit, and I'll *never* dive them again. :)
and in other posts have complained that ERDA has a bad attitude.

So Kris, who DO you like, besides yourself?

At one point, I gave a long post about the issues with ERDA. It's been a while since I've said anything significant about them, however. Interestingly, the most recent "bad attitude" comment about ERDA came from someone else... don't recall the thread, but it was within the last couple weeks.

As I've posted in this thread, there are several excellent operators that I haven't heard of any significant issues lately -- in no particular order: Hawaiian Rafting Adventures / Dive Maui, Extended Horizons, Maui Diamond, Makena Coast, Mike Severns, Dive & Sea, Pacific Dive, Maui Dreams Dive Co. and depending on the specific portion of the operation, Maui Dive Shop.

Depending on a person's needs, I'll often send them to one of the above before offering my services even.

I don't like Banana Flavored Ice Cream, but Mint Chocolate Chip is really good.

Back
Top Bottom