Maui in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petermichelle

Sporadic Member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there, we're looking for a little advice for our first dive in Maui. We're staying in Kihei. What kind of wet suit is recommended in March? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good dive shop? We definitely want to do Molokini -- any other must dives? I read the forums and it looks like shore diving is popular -- is it advisable to have a guide or safe to try it out alone? I imagine that varies by location. Any advice from the experts is really appreciated!

Thanks!

Sorry, wrong Island for me :D Haven't dove there myself yet - so tell me all about it when you get back :wink:

Someone will fill you in soon!

Wow... another Canadian making the venture over here... sometimes it feels like half of the people I meet here are from the "motherland." :D

Depending on your resiliency to cold, you'll probably want at least a 3mm fullsuit. The water has been in the low-to-mid 70's lately, and will hopefully be starting to warm up again a bit by March. :)

Depending on your dates, I may be able to go diving with you when you are here -- Private Message me those details if you feel like it and we can exchange contact info.

I'd strongly recommend at least one shore dive with someone who's familiar with the sites -- we can usually show you stuff that would take a few dives to find yourself. :)

Recommended dive *shops* (Kihei): Maui Dreams Dive Co.
Recommended shore dive operations: Maui Dreams Dive Co., Scuba Luv Maui (Maui Prince & Wailea Marriott), Shaka Divers
Recommended boat dive operations: Dive & Sea, B&B Scuba, Mike Severns

What are your demographics? That also helps to make a good recommendation. :)

Cheers,

Guides make shore diving nice of course. I've sent Shaka Doug a few people over the years for that and none have complained :) Dive sites like Ulua are very easy and don't really require a dive leader. Lots depends on your dive experience.

For dive boats I only use B&B these days.

Thanks for the replies. Everything I look at seems to recommend B&B so I think that's the route we'll go!

KrisB -- our demographics -- we are a wee bit older than you. Late 40s, married couple, 2 years certified AOW. We've done about 60 dives in Australia and Roatan. We think we're responsible good divers.

It would be great to hook up with others who are going shore diving. Our challenge will be that we are traveling with my 80 year old mother and we're not sure when we'll get our passes to go out on our own. :)

I also notice there's another Canadian "necscubasteve" on another thread -- "Diving in Maui in March" who's looking to find fellow divers. Our dates cross over his -- we're arriving on the 13th and leaving 20th. Our most likely shore dives would be early mornings of 14th, 17th or 18th (one or two of these). We hope to squeeze in a night dive too. And Molokini maybe on the 16th. But as I say, we won't be entirely free to choose.

petermichelle:
Thanks for the replies. Everything I look at seems to recommend B&B so I think that's the route we'll go!

KrisB -- our demographics -- we are a wee bit older than you. Late 40s, married couple, 2 years certified AOW. We've done about 60 dives in Australia and Roatan. We think we're responsible good divers.

It would be great to hook up with others who are going shore diving. Our challenge will be that we are traveling with my 80 year old mother and we're not sure when we'll get our passes to go out on our own. :)

I also notice there's another Canadian "necscubasteve" on another thread -- "Diving in Maui in March" who's looking to find fellow divers. Our dates cross over his -- we're arriving on the 13th and leaving 20th. Our most likely shore dives would be early mornings of 14th, 17th or 18th (one or two of these). We hope to squeeze in a night dive too. And Molokini maybe on the 16th. But as I say, we won't be entirely free to choose.
Hi Michelle,

The primary demographics I was meaning was cert-level/experience... those two things make recommending a local operator much easier... age don't mean a thing usually! :D

I'm back on-island at that point -- so feel free to PM me the week before and we can try and schedule some tentative times. :)

Cheers,

-kb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom