Maui Scooter diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be headed to Maui in late June (16th - 27th). We have been to Maui once before and really enjoyed it.

This year I will be brining my scooter (Cuda 650) and would like to know if there are any must do scooter dives. There are 4 wrecks (we know of) that we would like to dive, St. Anthony, Carthaginian, the Hellcat and landing craft. Are any of these reasonable to do on a scooter? If so does anyone want to share where to get in and the heading to use for each one?

Last time we did one boat dive to the Pinnacles. We have looked Molokini and the inside looks (from video) to not be that much different then we can see from shore. Last time we were not experienced enough divers for the back side. This year we are considering doing the back side of Molokini. If you could only do one boat dive what would it be?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hopefully others can provide more information, but I've read that from Makena landing you can use scooters to do five caves which is supposed to be a nice dive.

I'm not sure if you've done it before, but the Mala Pier dive is great, lots of marine life, very cool structure, swim throughs, just a great dive.

We have done both of those dives and Mala was on of our favorites. We did 3 dives in a single afternoon there.

Mile Marker 14, south of Lahaina is a very nice shore scooter dive at a turtle cleaning station, with a very shallow and easy sandy entrance/exit. Also plenty of places to park and short walk to the water.

We will be headed to Maui in late June (16th - 27th). We have been to Maui once before and really enjoyed it.

This year I will be brining my scooter (Cuda 650) and would like to know if there are any must do scooter dives. There are 4 wrecks (we know of) that we would like to dive, St. Anthony, Carthaginian, the Hellcat and landing craft. Are any of these reasonable to do on a scooter? If so does anyone want to share where to get in and the heading to use for each one?

Last time we did one boat dive to the Pinnacles. We have looked Molokini and the inside looks (from video) to not be that much different then we can see from shore. Last time we were not experienced enough divers for the back side. This year we are considering doing the back side of Molokini. If you could only do one boat dive what would it be?

Thank you.
Maui Dreams used to occasionally do the Helldiver Bomber out of Ma'alea. See Diving the Historic Helldiver in Maui They said you really need to know where you're going to find it. I'm not sure if they do scooter trips out there any more. That's where my profile picture was taken, by the propellor

I hadn't heard of the Hellcat before. I've never seen any of the dive operators go there since we've been diving Maui

I can put you on 2 of 4...this first quote posted by a scooter diver that used to live there - the 2nd link has the numbers/info to the Hellcat. Actually he's^ the "Tim" referred to by KrisB in the Hellcat post.

Both have since left Maui afaik.
St. Anthony Wreck
Location: Located 1/3 mile off Ulua beach park is the the 65' fishing vessel St. Anthony. It was sunk in 1997 as an artificial reef and is surrounded by a large submerged tire reef.
Entry: Ulua beach has one of the easiest entry points on the island with a shallow sloping sand entry, after rough weather watch out for submerged rocks in the shallows (tripping hazard).
From Ulua beach this is a very long surface swim or a perfect scooter dive. From the end of the rocky point at Ulua beach follow a compass heading of 285°
If leaving from Keawakapu (little shorter distance) follow a compass heading of 270° from the south end of the beach.
After a 10-15 minute scooter ride you should begin seeing the "tire reef" in about 60fsw.

Hellcat? Hell, yeah! (an adventure to the F6F Hellcat off Kihei, Maui)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom