Maybe possibly pregnant: diving too risky?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olivia Chillia

Registered
Reaction score
First thing I should note is that I will never knowingly do anything to put any child at risk, even if it means life is going to be really, really boring (or worse, but really boring is what's currently at stake). So please don't get the impression that I'm trying to find an excuse to do whatever I want regardless of the consequences.

I've been on the pill for five years. I quit at the end of May (very last week) because DH and I want to try for our first baby.

I completed my OW certification and did a fifth dive, not even thinking that I could be pregnant. Then it hit me... what if I'm pregnant and, not knowing it, go diving and hurt the baby? :11: Is this an irrational fear?

DH wants to take the Advanced OW class together this weekend. I won't be able to get in to see a doctor until after the weekend.

Is there any research on the effects of diving on the very newly pregnant? What's the best advice here?

DO NOT DIVE IF THERE IS A CHANCE YOU ARE PREGNANT. An embryo is composed of relatively few cells, all of which are completely dependent on your blood supply. Diving introduces extra nitrogen bubbles into your blood. These could have a catastrophic effect on the embryo. Sorry about the diving.

When is the EPT reliable? How long after conception?

I would find what I could about this simple test found in your drug store. Maybe even ask DAN about it.

NetDoc:
When is the EPT reliable? How long after conception?

I would find what I could about this simple test found in your drug store. Maybe even ask DAN about it.

It's supposed to be reliable the day your period is late. Which is still one or two weeks away.

Will DAN talk to me even if I am not a member?

Other than you quit taking the pill what other reasons might you have to suspect you may be in early pregnancy? If you have reason to believe you may be pregnant definitely try the EPT. The packaging insert should tell you what time frame from conception to get an accurate result. Ask the pharmacist if you aren't sure or don't want to open the packaging prior to purchase.

There is a new test, just so you know, that is supposively accurate one week before your missed period. I saw it on tv, hehe. I think its just the main brand. Also, the tests at the doctor's office are the most accurate so if you are going there soon, that would be the best bet. But the test might be less than the co-pay so I would just do that, then you also dont have to wait the next few days worring about it :)

There's no reason other than that I've not been taking birth control pills to suspect I'm pregnant yet. No missed period (that's still 7-14 days ahead).

I suppose the question I need to ask my doctor (among the dozens of other ones) is how often do I need to test whether I'm pregnant, and does a negative result mean it is safe to dive?

I do believe I'll read up on the related threads that I'm seeing at the bottom here... odd that they didn't show when I searched "pregnant"...

well i suppose that if you're trying for a baby then you should quit diving because you could get pregnant at any time. However, when was your last period? Because once you shed the lining of your womb, there's a space in between that point and having a new egg released where you can't get pregnant. However, I suppose you can't fully rely on this because you never know when your body will release 2 eggs or do something random! I would say that AOW will be there when you're done with pregnancy but a baby might not be when you're done with AOW (if you ARE currently preggers!) Why on earth didn't you get your AOW and then try for a baby?! It's like shopping - there's something you want now and you're gonna be sitting out the whole pregnancy like "Damn! i want my AOW! I could be AOW now!" well. hope that uh....helped?

If you think you may be pregnant don't dive. Find out for sure. You'll miss, what, two weeks at most if you aren't pregnant? Hit up the drug store and get an EPT. I suggest the digital kind with the LCD display that says "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant". It's so much easier to read than the color based tests. I know from experience. My wife and I just found out we're having our first. We ended up going back to the drug store to get the digital test because we couldn't tell what the other one was reading.

Good luck. Whatever the outcome, I hope it's good news for you

if you haven't missed your period, diving should be fine, since any fertilized egg is traveling down your fallopian tube and not attached in any way. the tests they use in the doctor's office (or at least the ones i've worked in) are the same as the ones in the drug store, so put your mind at ease on that one. there is a blood one that is way more specific (it's a number of kinda *how* pregnant you are, not just a 'yes' or 'no'), but 'yes' or 'no' is all you'd need.

in my opinion, it's like doing anything else that could be harmful...if you're planning a pregnancy (which, by stopping the pill, you are), don't dive, don't drink, don't smoke, etc. if it takes you by surprise, then stop those things as soon as you know.

marci, certified nurse midwife :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom