Mckenzie Bight photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love your videos. I hope that I'll get a chance to dive McKenzie Bight at some point in the future. Your videos are inspiring me. Perhaps I should take a trip over to victoria within the next couple months.

creamofwheat:
I love your videos. I hope that I'll get a chance to dive McKenzie Bight at some point in the future. Your videos are inspiring me. Perhaps I should take a trip over to victoria within the next couple months.
I've been going there alot, but I don't think it's really a "destination" type dive. It's sort of like Howe Sound, but with less life and (usually) better viz. I used to live and dive in Vancouver and the first time I dove Ogden Point here in Victoria I was blown away. Then I dove Ten Mile Point....
I think the Juan De Fuca side of Victoria is better for divers visiting from the Lower Mainland. There's much more colour because of the current/higher salinity.

swankenstein:
I've been going there alot, but I don't think it's really a "destination" type dive. It's sort of like Howe Sound, but with less life and (usually) better viz. I used to live and dive in Vancouver and the first time I dove Ogden Point here in Victoria I was blown away. Then I dove Ten Mile Point....
I think the Juan De Fuca side of Victoria is better for divers visiting from the Lower Mainland. There's much more colour because of the current/higher salinity.
Hey Mark, Scott and I are going to the "bottom" at Mackenzie Bight on thursday. Perhaps you might want to come out for a swim as well.

wedivebc:
Hey Mark, Scott and I are going to the "bottom" at Mackenzie Bight on thursday. Perhaps you might want to come out for a swim as well.

Nobody goes to the bottom at Mackenzie Bight, 600ft is too deep even for you Mr Rebreatherman:wink:

Hyper-limits:
Nobody goes to the bottom at Mackenzie Bight, 600ft is too deep even for you Mr Rebreatherman:wink:
We'll see. Wanna come?

creamofwheat:

Perhaps you should, As Mark mention the inlet is not the greatest but as I found over the years that when the viz is good the diving is actually not bad. Many of spot in the Saanich Inlet like Mackenzie Bight, Willis Pt, Henderson PT,Xmas PT,McCurdy PT and Senanus Island have nice wall dive and cloud sponge in the range of 100ft and deeper. Of course it doesn't match the sea life found at Ten mile PT or Race Rock.

Cheers

Al

swankenstein:

Ah, but you see, I like non "destination" dive sites. :D It's nice to see the places that locals dive and not just tourists. Maybe if I book a weekend off of work or something, I can get 2-3 days of diving in over there, and hopefully I can see a couple destination and non destination sites alike. :D I have never dove in victoria (only diving I have done on the island is the Saskatchewan and the Rivtow Lion), so perhaps I should check out a few sites over there when I next get the chance.

creamofwheat:
Ah, but you see, I like non "destination" dive sites. :D It's nice to see the places that locals dive and not just tourists. Maybe if I book a weekend off of work or something, I can get 2-3 days of diving in over there, and hopefully I can see a couple destination and non destination sites alike. :D I have never dove in victoria (only diving I have done on the island is the Saskatchewan and the Rivtow Lion), so perhaps I should check out a few sites over there when I next get the chance.
I don't mean it's not a good dive site. -After all, I've been there almost 10 times this month. I just mean it's somewhat similar to what you might be used to (without the Fraser/Squamish runoff, and no feather stars or plumose gardens). If I had to suggest 2 shore dives for someone visiting from The Straight of Georgia area, they would be Ogden Point (for the bull kelp forest, fish-eating anemones, etc) and Ten Mile Point for a colour-packed wall and vermilion rockfish. According to the nerds, the Strait of Georgia is considered a "protected" zone and the Strait of Juan De Fuca (Victoria) is a "transitional" zone because it's closer to the open Pacific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom