Medical form for dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

people overclaiming or companies underpaying which came first
Simultaneous... Why pay for mediocrity if biz and why work for $hit pay minus the actual $ if employee?
Just don't put your entire social security number on any old form... (if american that is... "Social security" number in the states is kinda like "homeland security," "patriot act," or "constitutional rights" these days but the government likes the hyperbole..)

What is interesting to me about this health issue is it appears that when I dive ( recreationally) I see a lot of very fat, overweight and old people as the main people on the dive boats. I don't know or care what someone puts on their forms but I find it hard to believe they are all fit for diving or a doctor would sign off on them. The lady that is 5'4 and weighs 240 surely has a few issues as does the guy that is very large.

The form specifically says weight and being in good shape are primary factors, yet I see tons of fat and very old divers.

I would not lie on the medical as I don't need to, but I did read an article that about 60% of those that dive, lie on the medical forms in one way or the other. It would make sense based upon the bodies I see when I go diving.

What is interesting to me about this health issue is it appears that when I dive ( recreationally) I see a lot of very fat, overweight and old people as the main people on the dive boats. I don't know or care what someone puts on their forms but I find it hard to believe they are all fit for diving or a doctor would sign off on them. The lady that is 5'4 and weighs 240 surely has a few issues as does the guy that is very large.

The form specifically says weight and being in good shape are primary factors, yet I see tons of fat and very old divers.

I would not lie on the medical as I don't need to, but I did read an article that about 60% of those that dive, lie on the medical forms in one way or the other. It would make sense based upon the bodies I see when I go diving.

What constitutes "old" and "very old" to you? What would be your assessment of when someone is too old to dive? Upon what do you make that assessment?

I am not a doctor and Old is in fact a decision each person would make. But when I see a lot of 60 years old and older folks, I am pretty convinced they are all on some medication.

While I am not a doctor, my father is a surgeon and routinely says that once a person hits 60, their list of medication typically expounds greatly unless they are very fit ( obviously so). If I see a guy or gal that is 60 years old and in top physical shape, I might not have those questions, but most of the ones I see at resorts are over 60, overweight and look like they couldn't run around the block. I would anticipate these would be contraindications for diving but again, to each his own. Just a thought that popped into my head.

Perhaps you should quote some of the exact language that "specifically says weight and being in good shape are primary factors" as well as the references to being old on the medical form so we can see how people are getting aay with lying about it.

Perhaps you should quote some of the exact language that "specifically says weight and being in good shape are primary factors" as well as the references to being old on the medical form so we can see how people are getting aay with lying about it.
Are you suggesting being healthy and in good shape are not primary factors one should consider when diving? As for the form, its on the interwebs.

Admitedly, as I said, I don't know if they 60 year old folks with big bellies and zero muscle structure are in fact unfit to dive, it's just my assumption they could be lacking in the physical fitness department.

I find it hard to believe they are all fit for diving or a doctor would sign off on them.

I did read an article that about 60% of those that dive, lie on the medical forms in one way or the other.
And in those 2 statements, you summed it up. These people want to dive, and obviously, they dive. It seems they consider it their decision to make for themselves, not a decision to be made by someone else and imposed on them.

And in those 2 statements, you summed it up. These people want to dive, and obviously, they dive. It seems they consider it their decision to make for themselves, not a decision to be made by someone else and imposed on them.

Agreed and I can live with that and think they also should make that decision. I am all for whoever wants to getting in the water and enjoying themselves. I just found it odd when I started recreationaly diving ( not very long ago) that I see so many folks that look very unfit doing it.

I just found it odd when I started recreationaly diving ( not very long ago) that I see so many folks that look very unfit doing it.
Understandable. On the other hand, us chubby folks are often encouraged to 'get out and be more active,' to find some activity we like to do, and water activities are often easy on the joints. Scuba diving is usually not all that physically demanding.

Yes, 'something' could happen (and sometimes does), but that's true making a trip to Walmart.

Good physical fitness proponents can preach till their lower jaws fall off about the wonders of healthy diet and exercise, and how everyone should get down to a healthy weight and have good cardio., but it's abundantly (I'd say glaringly) clear that with a whole lot of Americans, that ain't gonna happen.

And those people don't all choose to live life 'in a bubble' on the grounds they might have a heart attack. Someday they'll die, in the meantime they'll live. Or at least I think that's how some think.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom