Medical form for dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's becoming more common. Iv'e had to do it twice this last year. Recently we did a trip to St. Lucia and had to fill out the full medical form and my wife had to get a sign off from her doctor on medication she is on. We were supplied the forms well ahead of the trip so we were not surprised when we showed up. I just filled out all my paperwork for my trip in two weeks on the Raja Ampat Aggressor and they only had the standard waiver but not the medical form.

Health info is PHI. I would not give that kind of info to a dive shop.

Just look at the people we let drive a car. If we’re going to start restricting people’s activities, let start there.

Health info is PII. I would not give that kind of info to a dive shop.

Just look at the people we let drive a car. If we’re going to start restricting people’s activities, let start there.
There are all sorts of ailments for which you might not be allowed to drive a car.

I'm in a group going on the Grand Sea Explorer in the Red Sea in OCtober; it is part of the Explorer Ventures fleet (a franchise boat, not owned by EV). We have had to sign a liability waiver that includes initialing a statement that says:
4. I understand that EV complies with the recommendations of the Recreational Scuba Diver Training Council (RSTC) regarding physical and mental fitness for diving. I affirm that I have reviewed the RSTC Medical Statement and the guidelines, standards and recommendations contained therein (http://www.explorerventures.com/pdf/medical_statement.pdf) and that either (1) I have no medical history or condition and am taking no medication contraindicated for diving, or (2) I will be in possession of a doctor’s statement less than one year old affirming my fitness to dive despite one or more contraindicated medical conditions or medications that I am taking. I understand that, if I have a contraindicated medical history or condition or take contraindicated medication, and can not provide a current doctor’s recommendation of my fitness to dive, I will be unable to participate in diving activities from EV’s vessel, and that no refund or other consideration will be given.
It was recommended that we carry a signed medical with us, just in case. The embedded link is to the newest version of the form.

Agreed. We should lobby rental car agencies to ask everyone personal medical questions before they are allowed to drive a rental car?
Absence of a driver's license due to the medical conditions is sufficient.

Absence of a driver's license due to the medical conditions is sufficient.
[Tossing gasoline on the fire]
So, does this mean we should have state-issued diving licenses, which by definition would ensure we meet minimal competency & health standards?
[Running away]

So, does this mean we should have state-issued diving licenses, which by definition would ensure we meet minimal competency & health standards?
[Running away]
I'll treat this as a serious question.
No.
The differences are the fraction of the population involved, the use of expensive public resources (roads), the significant danger to other people, including non-drivers, and the social necessity of driving for commerce, daily living, and other non-discretionary purposes.

[Running away]
Although they will not admit it, the people who continually rag on dive agencies, shops, and operations in their efforts to police themselves are effectively calling for this.

If you scour the world, you will indeed find local laws that are regulating diving to a degree far in excess of what most people would like.

I'm in a group going on the Grand Sea Explorer in the Red Sea in OCtober; it is part of the Explorer Ventures fleet (a franchise boat, not owned by EV). We have had to sign a liability waiver that includes initialing a statement that says:
4. I understand that EV complies with the recommendations of the Recreational Scuba Diver Training Council (RSTC) regarding physical and mental fitness for diving. I affirm that I have reviewed the RSTC Medical Statement and the guidelines, standards and recommendations contained therein (http://www.explorerventures.com/pdf/medical_statement.pdf) and that either (1) I have no medical history or condition and am taking no medication contraindicated for diving, or (2) I will be in possession of a doctor’s statement less than one year old affirming my fitness to dive despite one or more contraindicated medical conditions or medications that I am taking. I understand that, if I have a contraindicated medical history or condition or take contraindicated medication, and can not provide a current doctor’s recommendation of my fitness to dive, I will be unable to participate in diving activities from EV’s vessel, and that no refund or other consideration will be given.
It was recommended that we carry a signed medical with us, just in case. The embedded link is to the newest version of the form.
Thanks, have never seen anything like this. You either say you have no conditions or you have a physician's clearance. Many of us would require the clearance.

Back
Top Bottom