Medical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been asked numerous times to sign a medical statement on live-aboard trips around the world indicating that I was medically fit to dive. Some of these forms were like the two page PADI form which asks you to answer “yes” or “no” to specific medical conditions. All of the forms contained a similar statement to the one found on the PADI form: “The information I have provided about my medical history is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I affirm it is my responsibility to inform my instructor of any and all changes to my medical history at any time during my participation in scuba programs. I agree to accept responsibility for omissions regarding my failure to disclose any existing or past health condition, or any changes thereto.” Thus, one has the ability to take responsibility for his/her own, undisclosed medical conditions without getting a doctor’s certification to dive. I prefer to answer the questions (I have to answer yes due to medications I take); and thus, when I get my annual physical, I have my doctor complete page 2 of a PADI medical form. I believe that it is in my best interest to disclose my medical conditions since if I am ever injured while on a trip, I may be unconscious and not able to disclose the medical conditions and medications to the treating medical personnel. My embarrassment about disclosing my medications is out-weighed by the potential for needing to get accurate medical treatment if I am injured and unconscious. This assumes the boat gives my medical statement to the treating personnel.

I have been asked numerous times to sign a medical statement on live-aboard trips around the world indicating that I was medically fit to dive. Some of these forms were like the two page PADI form which asks you to answer “yes” or “no” to specific medical conditions. All of the forms contained a similar statement to the one found on the PADI form: “The information I have provided about my medical history is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I affirm it is my responsibility to inform my instructor of any and all changes to my medical history at any time during my participation in scuba programs. I agree to accept responsibility for omissions regarding my failure to disclose any existing or past health condition, or any changes thereto.” Thus, one has the ability to take responsibility for his/her own, undisclosed medical conditions without getting a doctor’s certification to dive. I prefer to answer the questions (I have to answer yes due to medications I take); and thus, when I get my annual physical, I have my doctor complete page 2 of a PADI medical form. I believe that it is in my best interest to disclose my medical conditions since if I am ever injured while on a trip, I may be unconscious and not able to disclose the medical conditions and medications to the treating medical personnel. My embarrassment about disclosing my medications is out-weighed by the potential for needing to get accurate medical treatment if I am injured and unconscious. This assumes the boat gives my medical statement to the treating personnel.

Were those forms provided to you prior to the trip?

Were those forms provided to you prior to the trip?
I was made aware of the medical forms during the booking processes. For example, the Emperor boats in the Maldives post the self-declared medical form on the webpage but also send the form to you in an email. The Febrina sends it in an email with the Guest Information form. The Cap Ppalu posts it on line. The Spirit of Freedom notified you as part of the FAQs, but I did not see the actual form until I got on the boat.

What is the problem?

The problem is the form, taken verbatim, requires you to provide your medical history to the instructor. That's what it says: must. What you say it means, what Alice at PADI says the words mean, and so on, is all good and well but I don't believe it would hold up if it is ever contested.

It's not exactly difficult: put the questions on a separate page that does not need to be submitted, just like the physician guidelines pages. Put a checkbox on page one: [ ] I am fit to dive or [ ] I am attaching docotr's writ. Then nobody needs to see
all the invasive questions that they do no need to know.
But that not how the form is designed.

The problem is the form, taken verbatim, requires you to provide your medical history to the instructor. That's what it says: must. What you say it means, what Alice at PADI says the words mean, and so on, is all good and well but I don't believe it would hold up if it is ever contested.

It's not exactly difficult: put the questions on a separate page that does not need to be submitted, just like the physician guidelines pages. Put a checkbox on page one: [ ] I am fit to dive or [ ] I am attaching docotr's writ. Then nobody needs to see

But that not how the form is designed.

I agree with you. There are certain medical conditions that a student might not to wish to disclose that may require a YES answer but have zero relevance to diving.

A doctor's note should suffice.

I'm going to ask our PADI rep today.

A doctor's note should suffice.

I'm going to ask our PADI rep today.
To be compliant with dmaziuk's concerns, you probably ought to (1) ask PADI training directly rather than the area PADI rep, and (2) ask in writing so as to get it in writing.
Let us know what they say. I'm curious if their story is consistent or evolving.

I was made aware of the medical forms during the booking processes. For example, the Emperor boats in the Maldives post the self-declared medical form on the webpage but also send the form to you in an email. The Febrina sends it in an email with the Guest Information form. The Cap Ppalu posts it on line. The Spirit of Freedom notified you as part of the FAQs, but I did not see the actual form until I got on the boat.

I think you may be mistaking the form being "available" for it being required in some cases. I know that the form is required if taking courses with them, but I don't think it's necessary if you aren't doing any courses for most boats (the Emperor's website specifically calls the form out for "If you are doing a course" as do the All Star Liveaboards - including the Cat Ppalu). I'd be very surprised if any boats not around Australia (very strict, relatively, on their medical sign-offs) actually required it.

To be compliant with dmaziuk's concerns, you probably ought to (1) ask PADI training directly rather than the area PADI rep, and (2) ask in writing so as to get it in writing.
Let us know what they say. I'm curious if their story is consistent or evolving.

Want to bet they'll point you at WRSTC? It's not their form, they just put their logo in the top left corner.

Where I grew up we needed to bring an annual doctor's writ to the pool, no questions. It doesn't count, of course, as that was in the Evil Commie Empire where healthcare was actually affordable, merely annoying as you had to spend an hour or three getting it done.

Want to bet they'll point you at WRSTC? It's not their form, they just put their logo in the top left corner.

Where I grew up we needed to bring an annual doctor's writ to the pool, no questions. It doesn't count, of course, as that was in the Evil Commie Empire where healthcare was actually affordable, merely annoying as you had to spend an hour or three getting it done.

1. I will talk to the PADI traing dept.

2. I’m interested in whether this is a PADI standard or not.

Nothing else.

I think you may be mistaking the form being "available" for it being required in some cases. I know that the form is required if taking courses with them, but I don't think it's necessary if you aren't doing any courses for most boats (the Emperor's website specifically calls the form out for "If you are doing a course" as do the All Star Liveaboards - including the Cat Ppalu). I'd be very surprised if any boats not around Australia (very strict, relatively, on their medical sign-offs) actually required it.
I can't remember the outfit, but an operation in Puerto Rico (sadly now likely out of business) that I was going to dive with required a medical for just diving - not a course.

Back
Top Bottom