Medical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That clarified an important point for me; when you don't check the 'yes/no' questions, you've already got a physician's statement attesting to your readiness to dive.

Many people who show up at a dive shop or dive boat and fill out the customary paperwork, including liability disclaimer, do not have a medical release from a physician, and I suspect their situation is 'Check 'no' to everything or you don't dive with that operator that day.'

So, either get the letter in advance, or check 'no' to everything, or don't dive.

At least in the U.S./Caribbean diving I've done, that's been my impression of how the system works. Is that impression in error?

Richard.
I believe you are correct. The problem arises when instructors or dive operators think they have the expertise to look at a bunch of Yeses and Noes and make a medical judgement. They are expressly told by PADI NOT to do that; those questions are there to allow the instructor/operator to be able to tell a student they need to see a doctor, and if they have already seen a doctor, the job is done.

If someone wants to answer all Noes, so as to avoid the doctor's signature thing, they are not going to go to prison for lying. However, given the fact that you sign the form on the front saying your answers are accurate, you may indeed have a very uncomfortable discussion with your insurer (DAN or whomever) should a medical problem that arises.

OK. Hypothetical situation.

Student comes in with signed RSTC medical clearance. (Elects not to answer questions).

During conversation with him prior to training, we find out that he has an absolute contra-indication to diving. Next step?

OK. Hypothetical situation.

Student comes in with signed RSTC medical clearance. (Elects not to answer questions).

During conversation with him prior to training, we find out that he has an absolute contra-indication to diving. Next step?
Tell him your concerns, tell him it is HIS health and life on the line, that scuba diving is not worth the risk. Give him pages 3-6 of the RSTC form and suggest he look it over. Suggest he show it to his doctor. Suggest he call DAN and get an informed opinion. Finally, the instructor/shop are not obliged to take the student on, if they have those concerns. In fact, it would be negligent (IANAL) if they did.

Now, how would it be different if the student came in WITHOUT the doctor's signature and filled out a form with all Noes? The training starts, in conversation you find out his contra-indications....and proceed as above.

Those are MY next steps. What would YOU do?

Richard, I think your impression is exactly how it works.

That clarified an important point for me; when you don't check the 'yes/no' questions, you've already got a physician's statement attesting to your readiness to dive.

Many people who show up at a dive shop or dive boat and fill out the customary paperwork, including liability disclaimer, do not have a medical release from a physician, and I suspect their situation is 'Check 'no' to everything or you don't dive with that operator that day.'

So, either get the letter in advance, or check 'no' to everything, or don't dive.

At least in the U.S./Caribbean diving I've done, that's been my impression of how the system works. Is that impression in error?

Richard.

Despite having a letter from my PCP saying I was cleared to dive, I was told by one instructor that I would not be allowed to do the dive without the PADI medical form itself filled out completely and signed by the doctor. The letter was adequate to clear me in the opinion of a separate instructor for a different class however. So the "rules" of PADI are either not followed (if it requires the specific form itself) or are not uniformly interpreted (if just "any medical clearance" is adequate).

We had a situation. OW student answered NO to every question. At the pool, instructor noticed a large fresh scar across the student’s chest. Student said that he was fine and to ignore it.

Instructor used a mobile device to video conversation (and scar) as per instructions from a PI attorney and proceeded with class. Thankfully, all went OK.

I’m confused.

Both of you must have a YES answer to one of the RSTC questions, right?

Otherwise exactly why are you getting this form signed off?
some reasons you need a signed medical - you have a yes, you're pursuing a professional level cert, you're dicing in a country that requires a Dr signature

some reasons you need a signed medical - you have a yes, you're pursuing a professional level cert, you're dicing in a country that requires a Dr signature

No question about those. But poster stated that they got one at EVERY annual medical. I guess that your relationship with your physician is key. I can just text mine and get a form signed. (He’s my dive bud too so that helps!).

Despite having a letter from my PCP saying I was cleared to dive, I was told by one instructor that I would not be allowed to do the dive without the PADI medical form itself filled out completely and signed by the doctor. The letter was adequate to clear me in the opinion of a separate instructor for a different class however. So the "rules" of PADI are either not followed (if it requires the specific form itself) or are not uniformly interpreted (if just "any medical clearance" is adequate).
well the written standards specify the PADI medical form as required, but we have no way of knowing if a waiver, or exception was requested or granted in this case.

No question about those. But poster stated that they got one at EVERY annual medical. I guess that your relationship with your physician is key. I can just text mine and get a form signed. (He’s my dive bud too so that helps!).
right - I'm the poster. Rather than need one and have to arrange to get it signed, I proactively have one signed by my PCP annually.

Back
Top Bottom