Medical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m confused.

Both of you must have a YES answer to one of the RSTC questions, right?

Otherwise exactly why are you getting this form signed off?
I guess the idea of getting the Dr. to sign one when you're there anyway means you don't have to make a special trip to him if by chance you need it for a dive op. For me that's a 50 mile round trip.

I guess the idea of getting the Dr. to sign one when you're there anyway means you don't have to make a special trip to him if by chance you need it for a dive op. For me that's a 50 mile round trip.

OK. I've never had a dive op ask me for one in 40 years of diving. Which ones do that? I'd be interested. A list of those would be useful. (Australia is an exception I've been told).

OK. I've never had a dive op ask me for one in 40 years of diving. Which ones do that? I'd be interested. A list of those would be useful. (Australia is an exception I've been told).
Agree. I don't know which ones would require it, just heard that somewhere.

There is no problem (as far as PADI is concerned) with leaving the medical history blank. At least, that is what they told me when I asked.

The first paragraph of page one says, "Your signature on this statement is required for you to participate in the scuba training program." So, your signature is needed, not your medical info.

Did whoever told you that read the form, specically the very next two sentences? Because the form I just downloaded says, right after "Read this statement prior to signing it": You must complete this Medical Statement, which includes the medical questionnaire section, to enroll in the scuba training program (emphasis mine).

Did whoever told you that read the form, specically the very next two sentences? Because the form I just downloaded says, right after "Read this statement prior to signing it": You must complete this Medical Statement, which includes the medical questionnaire section, to enroll in the scuba training program (emphasis mine).
Read the rest of my post. You stopped too soon.

Read the rest of my post. You stopped too soon.

Nope. I just don't see it that way: I read "you must complete this Medical Statement, which includes the medical questionnaire section" as you must answer. The omissions refers to me neglecting to tell you I have allergies -- responsibility for my failure to disclose is the point there, not "you needn't answer if you like". Wanna bet how an insurance lawyer will argue it in front of a judge? Wanna bet if he succeeds?

Nope. I just don't see it that way: I read "you must complete this Medical Statement, which includes the medical questionnaire section" as you must answer. The omissions refers to me neglecting to tell you I have allergies -- responsibility for my failure to disclose is the point there, not "you needn't answer if you like". Wanna bet how an insurance lawyer will argue it in front of a judge? Wanna bet if he succeeds?
And the very first sentence of the Questionnaire says, "The purpose of this Medical Questionnaire is to find out if you should be examined by your doctor before participating in recreational diver training." So, if I provide the doctor's signature, have I not fulfilled the stated purpose of the Questionnaire? How does filling in the Yeses and Noes further fulfil the purpose?

And the very first sentence of the Questionnaire says, "The purpose of this Medical Questionnaire is to find out if you should be examined by your doctor before participating in recreational diver training." So, if I provide the doctor's signature, have I not fulfilled the stated purpose of the Questionnaire? How does filling in the Yeses and Noes further fulfil the purpose?

How is being examined by your doctor the same thing as finding out if you should be?

How is being examined by your doctor the same thing as finding out if you should be?
?? I really do not understand your point. I understand your question, and agree they are not the same. So what? The form exists to get me to a doctor if I need to go. So I go. What is the problem?

I'm a student. I'm handed a form and told to fill it out. I ask why? I'm told so we can see if you need a doctor's OK. Fine, I say, here is the doctor's OK.

So, if I provide the doctor's signature, have I not fulfilled the stated purpose of the Questionnaire? How does filling in the Yeses and Noes further fulfil the purpose?

That clarified an important point for me; when you don't check the 'yes/no' questions, you've already got a physician's statement attesting to your readiness to dive.

Many people who show up at a dive shop or dive boat and fill out the customary paperwork, including liability disclaimer, do not have a medical release from a physician, and I suspect their situation is 'Check 'no' to everything or you don't dive with that operator that day.'

So, either get the letter in advance, or check 'no' to everything, or don't dive.

At least in the U.S./Caribbean diving I've done, that's been my impression of how the system works. Is that impression in error?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom