Memorable Unique tips you picked up only on Scubaboard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most useful tip:
Never trust anything you read on the internet :D

jepuskar:
Always shave with cold water, not hot water. Learned that from UP who learned it from some woman on here...forgot who...
I shave in the shower. That cold water thing would kill me.
Chris

Walter:
Of course, it was also in the movie Good Morning Viet Nam.
and in the sitcom MASH. learned this one before i started shaving. lol.

Someone mentioned good ways to stand off from sensitive areas.

Something I've seen professional guides do to maintain a gentle stand-off is to place the point of a knife on a bare outcrop of dead coral or rock.

XJae:
hey catherine... here's one you can add to your list...

if you ever find yourself silted out and lost in a wreck... cover your light,
there's a good chance of seeing ambient light through the silt when you aren't
lighting up all the silt two feet from your face.
That one may be a lifesaver - now I've filed it away!

But I would have to hope that the silt was from someone else's diving, not mine...

>--Zen-Archer-->:
I do alot of Lake Diving and sometimes it requires walking to get to the waters edge to make a entry. I purchased a Large Carabiner (8") to clip on to the Upper D-Ring of my BC so I can attach my fins, mask,and sometimes hood. This allows me to have my hands free when traversing terrain near the water and keeping my gear together.
I do a lot of lake diving too - and getting in and out can be a b***h. I'm going to give this a try.

minnesota01r6:
Zen - The use of carabiners or "suicide clips" for diving is not a good idea unless it is one that has a threaded locking design. The clip can attach to unwanted things such as ropes, wrecks, monofilament line, seaweed, etc. Keep it in your pocket while in the water for safety.
Or over your knuckles, where it can be a very handy tank-banger...

grazie42:
The most useful tip:

you have to be kidding!...where else will I learn? .....oh you're being sarcastic, I bet.

if you ever find yourself silted out and lost in a wreck... cover your light,
there's a good chance of seeing ambient light through the silt when you aren't
lighting up all the silt two feet from your face.

And THIS one could save me someday. Priceless gems, in here. We are only getting away with this cause Snowbear is on vacation. I have no cash for "proper training" if I am going to PNG.

grazie42:
The most useful tip:

(LOL), that could be a little unkind for every one who post in here... but I have to recognize that almost every time that is true. ....But not here!:wink:

Mike Newman:
Someone mentioned good ways to stand off from sensitive areas.

Something I've seen professional guides do to maintain a gentle stand-off is to place the point of a knife on a bare outcrop of dead coral or rock.

I like to pick up a small shell about the size of my thumb and use that as an insulator between me and anything else. The shell will touch anything not me. I still pick out a safe place to touch but the shell makes the contact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom