meridiano tank rental cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
there was a recent thread posted where the conversation drifted a bit towards the cost of tank rentals on cozumel. i was recently on the island and decided to go by the compressor station again to verify the current cost and to share that info here .
i was told it was 91 peso for an allum 80 with 32% nitrox. for those of us that are mathematically challenged, that works out to aprox 6 dollars canadian or aprox 4.50 u.s. now don't nickel and dime me here guys this is the aprox cost depending on the exchange rate you are paying. but it certainly gives you an idea of the cost. we were also told all we needed to do was leave a piece of ID until the tanks were returned. previously i was told my cert card was good enough to use as ID but did not ask this time around.
i am not 100% certain of the cost of an air filled allum 80 but i believe it was 31 peso. so if it was 30 or 40 peso it would be aprox 2 or 3 dollars.

before any shop owners take offense to any of this info.......i am sure no one is against shops making a profit. if we didn't then we would all be out of business. but when it costs 3 bucks extra to get nitrox vs air, it seems a bit unreasonable (to me at least) that some shops charge up to 15 extra. not all shops charge that much of course. some do not charge anything extra. some 5. some 10.

in defense.....perhaps the reality is that some shops just do not want to be bothered with the extra time/effort it takes when dealing with customers who dive nitrox. including having to provide an analyzer and maintain it in good working order. keeping records. tagging the tanks etc etc so they charge a high mark up to offset some of those costs.

our trip was fantastic btw. a handful of decent boat dives with beautiful coral formations. quite disappointed in the lack of life at some spots though. but had some amazing night shore dives that made up for it. and just for the record.....we paid $6 u.s. per tank for the shore dives at our hotel including weight and weight belts if needed.

Wow, I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind when I next visit coz. Thanks! When I dove with Dive Paradise in 2015, they charged $10 extra per tank to get nitrox. Big difference in $140 for the week vs $63 (US Dollars).

Of course you are only accounting for the cost of the fills - not the maintenance, analyzers, frequent replacement of sensors, etc. etc. as well as the service of having it available. Our "cost" of providing Nitrox is not as simple as the cost of the fill.

Diving is a business. Just like every single person who owns a business or goes to work and earns a paycheck, we are all in business to earn a (very modest) living.

But if I were to try and save those $$ by doing it myself I would have to rent a car at $30/day to haul the tanks around and then probably have to tip some guy with a cart to drag them through the hotel and/or haul them down to the pier...

Of course you are only accounting for the cost of the fills - not the maintenance, analyzers, frequent replacement of sensors, etc. etc. as well as the service of having it available. Our "cost" of providing Nitrox is not as simple as the cost of the fill.

Diving is a business. Just like every single person who owns a business or goes to work and earns a paycheck, we are all in business to earn a (very modest) living.

absolutely agree......that is why i did mention all those things in my original post

But if I were to try and save those $$ by doing it myself I would have to rent a car at $30/day to haul the tanks around and then probably have to tip some guy with a cart to drag them through the hotel and/or haul them down to the pier...

for some it is def not worth it. that is why we rented tanks at our hotel for 6 bucks each. plus the fact we needed lead. but still good to understand what you are actually paying for.

Christi, I am a small business owner and sympathetic with you but $12 for a $3 item when you already have charged for handling the air tank seems excessive. I pump my own nitrox and have my own analyzers and am very aware that the cost of analyzing a tank is almost nothing. You dive shop owners can charge whatever you want, and I'll pay it because I like the safety margin I believe nitrox gives. But the whole thing gives me a bad taste in my mouth and as dive ops realize that they will go to a reasonable cost and you will too or lose business. As a fellow businessman reminds me, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Do people who say that realize that pigs eventually turn into hogs?
(difference between a pig and hog is primarily size. the idea being a hog is now fully grown and should be slaughtered for meat)

Why do I suddenly have a craving for cochinita?

I never dive nitrox down there because the shops charge WAY too much for it, I'm fine with air. It also seems every time I hear people complaining about light fills, it's always a nitrox fill. My last trip a guy got a 2400lb EAN 32 fill. Hopefully the op made that right, but I've seen that happen quite a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom