Mesh tank protectors?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I don't use mesh on any of my tanks, I love it when people do. As an occasional dive shop monkey, it tells me that they're an easy mark. It also means that I get to charge them a few dollars to remove/replace the stuff when they bring the tanks in for inspections. :crafty: They're like leisure suits - many of us paid good money for them and we wore them with pride. Until we took them off and threw them away in mortified embarassment. :11:

Actually, mesh users get fewer dings in the finish of their tanks, but there are some downsides: the stuff is ugly (in my not so humble opinion), marks you as a neophyte, makes tank slippage in the BC more likely, is an entanglement risk (never mind penetration diving, I saw a gal get snagged on a fishhook once - heh) and saltwater divers have a hard time rinsing their tanks and end up with corrosion problems.

Add my name to the chorus that says a dinged up tank is a badge of honor, to be displayed with pride as proof that you're an active diver. Mesh covered tanks mean you're worrying about some unimportant things and haven't yet learned to focus on what matters. Don't feel too badly about this purchase, however - everyone who dives long enough ends up with more than a few choice items to hang on their wall of shame. I don't have any mesh on mine, but there's plenty of other stuff. :wink:

reefraff:
Although I don't use mesh on any of my tanks, I love it when people do. As an occasional dive shop monkey, it tells me that they're an easy mark. It also means that I get to charge them a few dollars to remove/replace the stuff when they bring the tanks in for inspections.

IMHO IF you need a easy mark to run your business it suggests to me your business is failing. I wonder why?

Add my name to the chorus that says a dinged up tank is a badge of honor, to be displayed with pride as proof that you're an active diver. Mesh covered tanks mean you're :wink:

This do's not prove to me your a diver, In my humble opinion it shows that they have no pride and if they feel a need to have a badge of honor then its a childish neanderthal outlook.
The next thing you will want is bleachers on the dive boat so you can get applause when you come up.

Just my humble opinion :wink:

reefraff:
Add my name to the chorus that says a dinged up tank is a badge of honor, to be displayed with pride as proof that you're an active diver. Mesh covered tanks mean you're worrying about some unimportant things and haven't yet learned to focus on what matters.

I find it intriguing that an industry so obsessed with equipment maintenance and inspection programs would think to ridicule anything that evidentally works towards preserving the protective coatings applied to cylinders.

Less worrisome with aluminium perhaps, but a ding through the galvanized coating on a steel cylinder means the potential for the very sort of damage that inspection programs are designed to detect. If it is important to detect that sort of damage, isn't it just as important to prevent it in the first place? What am I missing here?

Perhaps I should get some cold-galv paint and apply randomly to some non-existant dings so I too can look experienced? :lol:

The argument about entanglement is an interesting one. Personally, I'd be inclined to cut the line attached to the hook and figure it out at the surface -- just like I would if the hook caught on my webbing or wetsuit or the sundry other things I'm wearing. If the mesh fits the tank properly, and is trimmed to length appropriately at the top of the tank, then it's not substantially more likely to catch on anything than, say, the first stage reg. In normal recreational diving anyway.

I've found the slipping issue to be more the opposite. The mesh increases diameter and so requires the bands to be let out slightly. If in a series of dives one switches between mesh covered and non-covered without properly re-adjustiing the band, then the non-covered cylinder will almost certainly slip. On the other hand, it's a bonus when swapping between a mesh covered 7" diameter steel cylinder and a plain AL 80 rental -- it takes up the slack quite nicely.

As for removal during testing/cleaning, it comes off quite easily if done properly (like a chinese finger puzzle). Easier than the boot, since the mesh can be removed by hand but the boot usually requires some gentle persuasion with a dead-blow.

Some would argue that mesh just traps salt like tank boots can. That can't be good for a tank. Unless you clean your gear religously...this would might require removing the mesh or boot.

If you get a hot dipped galvanized tank from PST, you don't worry about those dings. Galvanized paint isn't the way to go.

The problem with slippage isn't with the person who carefully checks to make sure their cam bands are tight enough. It's with those divers who don't take the time. You have to admit there are many out there.

derwoodwithasherwood:
I find it intriguing that an industry so obsessed with equipment maintenance and inspection programs would think to ridicule anything that evidentally works towards preserving the protective coatings applied to cylinders.

Less worrisome with aluminium perhaps, but a ding through the galvanized coating on a steel cylinder means the potential for the very sort of damage that inspection programs are designed to detect. If it is important to detect that sort of damage, isn't it just as important to prevent it in the first place? What am I missing here?

Perhaps I should get some cold-galv paint and apply randomly to some non-existant dings so I too can look experienced? :lol:

The argument about entanglement is an interesting one. Personally, I'd be inclined to cut the line attached to the hook and figure it out at the surface -- just like I would if the hook caught on my webbing or wetsuit or the sundry other things I'm wearing. If the mesh fits the tank properly, and is trimmed to length appropriately at the top of the tank, then it's not substantially more likely to catch on anything than, say, the first stage reg. In normal recreational diving anyway.

I've found the slipping issue to be more the opposite. The mesh increases diameter and so requires the bands to be let out slightly. If in a series of dives one switches between mesh covered and non-covered without properly re-adjustiing the band, then the non-covered cylinder will almost certainly slip. On the other hand, it's a bonus when swapping between a mesh covered 7" diameter steel cylinder and a plain AL 80 rental -- it takes up the slack quite nicely.

As for removal during testing/cleaning, it comes off quite easily if done properly (like a chinese finger puzzle). Easier than the boot, since the mesh can be removed by hand but the boot usually requires some gentle persuasion with a dead-blow.

I know I don't need a bright, shiny, elctric blue,hot pink or purple tank to show my pride :wink: I'll take my scratched up tanks anyday of the week.

cdiver2:
This do's not prove to me your a diver, In my humble opinion it shows that they have no pride and if they feel a need to have a badge of honor then its a childish neanderthal outlook.
The next thing you will want is bleachers on the dive boat so you can get applause when you come up.

I've never used a mesh on my tank. AFAIC, dings and scratches add CHARACTER. Makes me look like a real salt-puckered veteran of the reefs and the wrecks, maaaaan....

Well, actually, now that I think about it, my tank is a former rental, and already bashed to heck. :/ I wonder if I'd feel the same way about that brand new "electric blue" Luxfer that I lust after.

***de-snide***

I suppose that using a mesh depends on how important the finish of your tank is to you. Something vicious enough to really damage your tank will probably go right through the mesh. I think it's mostly cosmetic.

cheers

Billy S.

cdiver2:
IMHO IF you need a easy mark to run your business it suggests to me your business is failing. I wonder why?
Actually, the shop that I serve at doesn't stock mesh wraps and is doing quite nicely, thank you. The owner thinks it's a bad idea to encourage divers to buy something that he thinks they shouldn't use - and policies like this are one of the reasons I work there. We will special order one for anyone that insists, however...
This do's not prove to me your a diver, In my humble opinion it shows that they have no pride
You're sweet. How rare to hear that I have no pride - I'm more accustomed to folks saying I have a little more than is healthy. :wink: Maybe it's just that you and I take pride in different aspects of our diving?
and if they feel a need to have a badge of honor then its a childish neanderthal
Now, "childish" and "neanderthal" are epithets that I have heard before - point deduction for lack of originality. You like a pristine tank, I think it's a silly waste of time, money and effort; isn't this what makes the world go 'round?
outlook. The next thing you will want is bleachers on the dive boat so you can get applause when you come up.
Nah - I tried it and it scares away the fish. Besides, bringing along a cheering squad is hell on the gas mileage.
You're too modest.

I think that the various viewpoints regarding tank wraps have pretty well been expressed here, time for me to move on to other threads before I bruise anyone's feelings. Shalom.

Apparently you did raise some blood pressure, but I agree with you. Our shop does not sell mesh tank protectors, we give them away. We have a rather large collection of tank protectors that were donated to our shop after ACE’s and the owner declined putting them back on.

Unless the cylinder suffers from severe blunt trauma; the integrity of the cylinder is compromised from the inside out, not out side in. I do a lot of cylinder inspections that are used for commercial diving, and they are absolutely punished more than any recreational diver could ever do. I have not even heard of a cylinder failing from acute scratches or smudges caused from lack of protection.

So in my opinion the mesh tank protector serves no practical use, except to let every one know you bought from the late 80’s
Just my 2 cents

JUMBO

OK not trying to start an argument but some questions have been rasied and responses needed.

Although I don't use mesh on any of my tanks, I love it when people do. As an occasional dive shop monkey, it tells me that they're an easy mark. It also means that I get to charge them a few dollars to remove/replace the stuff when they bring the tanks in for inspections.

I have never been seen as a mark as far as i can tell, except for the few bums that ask me for money and they soon learn the error of their ways when they do.

I have also never been charged more for any services from any shop because i have mesh on my tank. If anyone ever tried that i can guarentee you that would be the last time i would ever step through that door. I would also warn all my buddies, and generally try my damd'est to make sure no one else went through the front door of that shop also. Im kinda of picky about someone trying to screw me so i figure if thats their attitude then i should return the favor.

the stuff is ugly (in my not so humble opinion

Ok so we differ on that viewpoint, I like the look.

marks you as a neophyte, makes tank slippage in the BC more likely, is an entanglement risk (never mind penetration diving, I saw a gal get snagged on a fishhook once - heh) and saltwater divers have a hard time rinsing their tanks and end up with corrosion problems.

How does trying to keep my gear in good shape make me a neophyte, I thought it just showed that im poor, cant afford new gear every 6 months. Also that i care about my gear and want it to be clean and decent looking and working.

Hmmm all the time in the kelp, also diving at la janelle where there are tons of fishermen and fish hooks and line in the water and have never gotten snagged.

last time i checked the pacific ocean was saltwater, but hey i could be wrong. I have never had a hard time cleaning my tank, i just put a little effort into it. But that makes me a neophyte cause i actually put effort into taking care of my gear. Also the last time i looked i have absoloutly no corrosion on my tank.

Add my name to the chorus that says a dinged up tank is a badge of honor, to be displayed with pride as proof that you're an active diver. Mesh covered tanks mean you're worrying about some unimportant things and haven't yet learned to focus on what matters.

A Dinged up tank is not a badge of honor to me, it shows you dont take care of your equipment or care what condition its in.

I also think you have it reversed. I dont give a damm what anyone thinks of me never have never will. If mesh means im worried about taking care of my gear and thats less important than weather someone thinks im an active diver or not. Well i guess i will never learn that one. Call me thick then.

Also if im not trying to prove anything to anyone, could give a damm less what they think about me. As a matter of fact would rather they go F.O.A.D. (F*** Off And Die It's my motto i live by) Why would i care if they think im an active diver or not. Am i going to win Free money if they think i am an active diver, then maybe i could afford new gear every 6 months.

Some would argue that mesh just traps salt like tank boots can. That can't be good for a tank. Unless you clean your gear religously...this would might require removing the mesh or boot.

Yes that was what i was told from the beggining, and yes i do clean my gear religously, matter of fact its the only religion i believe in. I also have been able to do it with out removing the mesh or boot, and yes it does take longer but whats a few extra min. My friend just got cert from naui, and he looked at me funny when i explained to him what i do to clean my gear.

I know I don't need a bright, shiny, elctric blue,hot pink or purple tank to show my pride I'll take my scratched up tanks anyday of the week.

Its not a pride thing for me for looks, its the fact that i cant drop another $400 on a tank. And if That sounds high Take into cosideration that i bought a genesis steel hp 100 in 92, and steel tanks were very expensive in 92. and i still have the same tank and it still looks very good. Al is not even a consideration for me.

So in my opinion the mesh tank protector serves no practical use, except to let every one know you bought from the late 80’s

Make that the early 90's :wink:

I Still have all my original gear that i bought from the beggining except for...
Wetsuit... it just wore out over time, and the body changes as we get older (fatter :wink: )

Mask... silicone has a life span. it still works but is yellow hard and leaks like a sieve.

snorkel.... with davey jones, particularly bad wave coming through the surf on a snorkeling day.

booties.... who wouldent expect these to wear out

gloves.... ditto

other than that i still have everthing else i got in 92 and it is in very good shape, even my big bulky bc (dacor chameleon) so yes i am a neophyte, I belive in taking care of my gear and maintaining the quality of it. So i guess i will wear my neophyte badge with pride... :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom