metric made easy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another useful one.

Metric tanks are usually given in litres and bar.

232 bar is standard low pressure (a-clamp) and the most common, 300 bar is less common.

People generally use 12 litre or 15 litre tanks

The water capacity multiplied by pressure is the amount of air in a tank in litres.

Example 15l x 232 = 3480 litres of air.

SACs are expressed in surface litres per minute with a heavy breather taking around 25l/min.

So for above example a hoover would take 139 minutes to drain that tank at sea level and as roughly 10m == 1atm you can easily work out the air drain at other depths.

Hank49:
. So yes, 1000 calories would be required to raise a liter of water that much. Or a beer? Which is what this whole thing started about.
It takes 1000 calories to raise a liter of water 1 degree C. OTOH, it only takes 1 Calorie to raise the temp of 1 liter of beer 1 degree C.

Beer IS food, isn't it? :banana:

Charlie99:
Hank49:
. So yes, 1000 calories would be required to raise a liter of water that much. Or a beer? Which is what this whole thing started about.
It takes 1000 calories to raise a liter of water 1 degree C. OTOH, it only takes 1 Calorie to raise the temp of 1 liter of beer 1 degree C.

You know, I met this genius young chemist, beer brewer who swears that man can live on brocoli and Guiness. So it must be food.

Hank49:
Charlie99:
Hank49:

You know, I met this genius young chemist, beer brewer who swears that man can live on brocoli and Guiness. So it must be food.

I don't think that Guiness is the right match for broccoli. (Actually, I'm not sure any beer is the right match for broccoli :11: ) Hmm. I think some experimentation is in order. Some Guiness stout, Anchor Steam, some Pilsners, some Lagers, and a plate of steamed broccoli. Call me in the morning! :crafty:

hdtran:
Hank49:
Charlie99:
I don't think that Guiness is the right match for broccoli. (Actually, I'm not sure any beer is the right match for broccoli :11: ) Hmm. I think some experimentation is in order. Some Guiness stout, Anchor Steam, some Pilsners, some Lagers, and a plate of steamed broccoli. Call me in the morning! :crafty:

He never said it was a gourmet meal. He just said it had the essential amino acids, fatty acids etc and nutrients to survive on.

Hank49:
hdtran:
Hank49:
He never said it was a gourmet meal. He just said it had the essential amino acids, fatty acids etc and nutrients to survive on.

Oh, OK! Let's just skip the broccoli, then. A glass of extra stout, IPA, Anchor Steam, Harp, & Bass Ale. I'll sacrifice myself to do some comparative testing & let you know the results! :11ztongue

Hank49:
Charlie99:
Hank49:

You may be able to live on it. But the amount of gas you would be passing, and the associated smell, would make it hard to prove to anyone that you had not actually died. Or at the very least had something die in your back side.... :11:

pt40fathoms:
Hank49:
Charlie99:
You may be able to live on it. But the amount of gas you would be passing, and the associated smell, would make it hard to prove to anyone that you had not actually died. Or at the very least had something die in your back side.... :11:

Worse than milk after you've become lactose intolerant? Reminds me of my wife before. She used to complain that I ate more than her and our daughter put together. I told her I weigh more than them put together and besides, I'm a high performance machine like an indy car...you know, a real gas guzzler. And she said, "you're a real gas producer, that's for sure". I stopped the argument dead in it's tracks as we cracked up laughing.

Charlie99:

That's why drinking a cold beer is healthier that a warm beer. Although I don't have any references with me to check numbers, I'm willing to bet the thermal characteristics of beer are different than pure water. Although after rounding off the decimals, and finishing the beer, who really cares? :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom