Mexican Swine Flu (H1N1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
I am due to be heading to PDC next Friday and I am considering cancelling my trip as we speak. Looking up the travel insurance right now.

I was really looking forward to it, but now I'm worried and I don't want to be a guinea pig (no pun intended) for a new virus.

I do understand that the claims are that it is contained to Mexico City. Except for those cases in southwestern US, so not really that contained - seems to spread easily and quickly. Not worth a chance IMO.

I will likely stay home and come visit another day when the health risks arent so great. The threat of violence never deterred me one bit because I can directly impact the type of danger situations I put myself in. I can't control an airborne virus.

now I'm sad.

Just to let everyone know, the virus is infuenza, swine flu but a new type. It is being contained in 3 states mexico city, estado de mexico, and san luis potosi, there are many cases that have been ruled out as pneumonia or a strong flu.
The yucatan peninsula is sealed since fri, incoming buses, cars, flights go through a sanitary questionare and a quick check with medical staff. Right now the 3 state peninsula is safe and minutes ago this was confirmed by the governor of quintana roo where cancun, cozumel and mayan riviera is located.
The federal government has issued alerts, in mexico city and the other 2 states mentioned, some northern states have not officially confirmed cases.
I am not an official spokesman but it is fine to be in cancun coz and mayan riviera.
Hope this info helps.

Thanks for the update, Miguel. :) A friend and I are headed for the Yucatan Peninsula on Saturday and still hope to make the trip. I'll look into getting a vaccine before I leave home...

As far as the last information I got yesterday, there is no vaccine available that is effective against this H1N1 strain. If you must travel to Mexico City, it would probably not be unreasonable to prophylax with Tamiflu. The virus so far has been sensitive to it. I would not recommend that for the Yucatan, because the more people are using the drug, the higher the likelihood of developing resistant strains, so it should only be used in high risk areas.

Has it spread to the Yucatan? Press reports today (Sunday) are saying the kids in New York were in Cancun two weeks ago. This thing seems to be getting a lot of attention since the story broke on Friday. I recall they (US government) were afraid of the swine flu epidemic back in 1975 (or thereabouts) but it never really materialized. That was the first time I learned about the spanish flu pandemic of 1918. My grandmother told me about it. She almost didn't make it. I had no idea this stuff really happened before talking with her.

Last edited:
Well, that is good news. Nearly all the cases in the US are from people visiting Mexico.

I was inoculated for the swine flu back in 1976, as an Army wide preventive measure. I could not get out of bed for three days. Severe fever, nausea, etc. Closest I've ever come to feeling like I was going to die....

Back
Top Bottom