Mexican Swine Flu (H1N1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I am as afraid of this swine flu as I was of West Nile, Bird Flu and SARS. I really believe that a lot of this is the mentality of "If it bleeds it leads". What the news is not reporting is that 40,000 Americans die every year from regular Flu. Yeah when i head down to Mexico in July I will pack hand sanitizer, which I would not have done before. I will wash my hands often and avoid touching my face, which I always do now.

It is the Flu people, not Captian trips (Flu from Stephen King's awesome "The Stand") or some black ops super bug.

If you are healthy enough to travel, contract the Flu in Mexico while you will wish you were dead because you feel miserable, vomiting etc etc. You probably wont die.

They think that they have identified the index patient in a village of 2000 people, 800 of them caught the flu. That is what is scary about this bug and why everyone is so concerned.

The WHO and CDC are driving this. I just cannot see this reaction with a couple of hundred cases. The current strain in the US isn't the same one in Mexico. More people are dying right now from drunk drivers than swine flu variants.

Our pandemic action plan has been escalating at work. Again, I still do not see the current actions as warranted. Especially given the fact that most of the cases are random. It does not appear to be pneumonic. All those students in NY did not appear to infect all the other students.

It could be entirely possible to contract and spead it on a plane. As someone else stated, the air in the cabins of aircraft are big circulators. There is nothing to purify or exchange the air. I know many a people that were fine prior to a plane trip and got sick immediately afterwards. I don't think there is anything known of the persistency of the viruses. You could have one aircraft continually pumping air around with different flights of passengers.

Seems a good way to shut down the borders. But no one would believe that...:wink:

I'm in riviera maya at the moment . All activity outside the resort has canceled due to the swine. We are now stuck in the resort until Sunday. People that took a 2 week vacation will leave this week after 1 week of stay or less. Apparently they are closing the out the whole area to tourist for 1 month. Even the Destination Rep are have to go back to there own restrictive country. This is the Information a got this Morning from my travel Agency TMR with a full refund of all the activity I had book for the rest of the week.

Im am really piss at the moment of this situation , Specially that we requested a full refund of our trip 3 days before leaving or a new Destination. The blue cross and travel agency (insurance) didnt want to cause they said there were no problem in the Yucatan. Now we are stuck at the poll ... NICE

EXACTLY... I just don't get it, I keep watching the news and screaming at the tv to at least mention that fact. Its so frustrating to just be lumped together with the rest of the country. It can't be just at the airports that everyone is getting sick. Now we're starting to get worried about our income. May is panning out to be the lowest low season of all time. And yes, after this last earthquake, I'm waiting for the tsunami to hit and my friend is watching for volcano activity... hehe.

My income is already gone... because of all of the cancellations, as of friday, myself and several of my coworkers are being put on unpaid leave until everything gets sorted out.
:angrymob:

my income is already gone... Because of all of the cancellations, as of friday, myself and several of my coworkers are being put on unpaid leave until everything gets sorted out.
:angrymob:

unbelievable amounts of cancelations not only us but all cancun is going to go through a very bad hit for several weeks, when we do not have any confirmed cases here even with all the new york news (they caught in inthe airplane), normal flu, tobacco, alcohol, kills more people than there have been deaths from this curable and i am not trying to down play it i know who just brought it up to level five, and i would really think about visiting mexico city (my mom lives there) but being no cases confirmed here, maybe we see it different, the contingency plans are there but we have no income.....some businesses will close, people are being asked to take a non paid vacation, others just being told that companies will call them when things change etc. It is really bad, but insisting here there are no confirmed cases, the whole peninsula is sealed and whatever said on this board passengers are screened.....anyway i hope everyone that reads this is fine and just delays their trips here.....and please keep us posted....

.anyway i hope everyone that reads this is fine and just delays their trips here.....and please keep us posted....

I am one of the people who cancelled. However I do have full plans to visit Mexico in the future.
If this was an outbreak of a normal flu that was well understood I would not have even considered canceling. It's the new/unknown that makes the H1N1 scary.

Trust me, I'll be back!

Four of my friends canceled a trip to Cancun yesterday. Two of them were scared of the flu. The president of the company the other one works for said no one is to travel to Mexico for a while. When the big cheese makes that statement, you don't dare go.

PH

We have had 5 groups for next week cancel already. I am expecting that will not change as the days go on. I hope this is not just scare since from 250,000 to 500,000 people worldwide die from the common flu every year that's not a pandemic that is an epidemic. But I am glad people are being safe, there is no reason to risk it, Mexico isn't going anywhere. WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom