Mexican Swine Flu (H1N1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The inoculations in 1975 caused more problems than the actual illness. There was a rush to do something brought on by panic.

I am pleased to see the government reaction right now is that of concern, but not panic.

From what I have been reading this morning the current strain of swine flu has a lot of similarities with avian flu. They are thinking that it might have been transmitted from birds originally. If this is true that would show why the Theraflu is having such success. Theraflu is well suited for avian flu.

I also heard that there has also been a confirmed case in Spain now.

Pig flu, bird flu, people flu or whatever else I'll be in Cancun in 2 weeks diving with M.A.D. unless they cancel all flights. I'm not letting it bother me if I get I get I'll deal with it then until then everyone wash your hands because here I come.

I just got back on Friday night. If I were leaving today, I'd wear a mask till I left the airport, carry hand sanitizer, and enjoy my trip.

Also, it appears the version that is spreading in the US is a milder strain of what is spreading in Mexico. However, there are many differing factors with Mexico. The general state of health care, especially in less populated states. Less immunizations as part of preventive medicine, etc.

I have heard the likeness to avian flu, but nothing substanitive. My boss just cancelled his trip to PDC and rebooked in Montego Bay. Flights are having huge cancellations, like two-thirds on his flight.

If I were going now, I would follow Yak's advice. The most common denominator would be the airport.

Good weather and good health!

Loads of flights are being cancelled both coming in AND going out. In Playa, schools and day cares have closed until May 6th. The only masks we are seeing are in large supermarkets (probably corporate regulations). I just don't understand one thing. How can all these foreigners be getting sick after travelling to Cancun and there not be any reported cases in the whole peninsula!!!! That just seems statistically impossible to me. Any thoughts...

Airports are not that bad, I guess, the issue here is the airplane itself. How could you know for sure from where the person seated at your side came from? Or even if that same person is carrying this damn A/H1N1 virus or not? Not to mention the overall airplane air quality.

So, if the trip is not urgent why play the Russian roulette?

In my case, there is not much to do... I'm already in Mexico City, working from the hotel. And after the earthquake of yesterday, I'm starting to believe the Mayans were right and the world will indeed end in 2012. haha. Sorry for the bad joke, But I'm really bored of staying all day here.

Cheers,

Rafa

Interesting that there are no reported cases in the Yucatan since all the NYC cases and those reported to day at a SC private school are kids who vacationed in Cancun. Is it really feasible that all these people are getting it at the airport or on planes? I really don't think so.

EXACTLY... I just don't get it, I keep watching the news and screaming at the tv to at least mention that fact. Its so frustrating to just be lumped together with the rest of the country. It can't be just at the airports that everyone is getting sick. Now we're starting to get worried about our income. May is panning out to be the lowest low season of all time. And yes, after this last earthquake, I'm waiting for the tsunami to hit and my friend is watching for volcano activity... hehe.

EXACTLY... I just don't get it, I keep watching the news and screaming at the tv to at least mention that fact. Its so frustrating to just be lumped together with the rest of the country. It can't be just at the airports that everyone is getting sick. Now we're starting to get worried about our income. May is panning out to be the lowest low season of all time. And yes, after this last earthquake, I'm waiting for the tsunami to hit and my friend is watching for volcano activity... hehe.
Last local news I heard this afternoon said we have 45 cases in NYC. I think if I had to choose between a day riding the NYC subways and a day in Cozumel or the Riviera Maya, my odds would be better in down there then here at home!

Today - charter carriers from Canada and the UK have suspended service to Mexico. The Canadian tour op is saying no service UNTIL JUNE. Cuba banned all travel to/from Mexico for 48 hrs. Hong Kong will not allow any inbound or outbound flights to/from Mexico. Cruise lines are changing itineraries to skip Mexican ports.

I get the potential seriousness of an unknown, never before seen flus strain. I don't get the overkill craziness of all these travel companies shutting down Mexico service when none of these governments or the WHO has actually issued an official ban on travel to/from their country and Mexico. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom