Mexican Swine Flu (H1N1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am scheduled to be there in July. If my reservations were for today, I would still come!

I am so sad to see how the media is over reacting to this situation and it is affecting the lives of so many of the hard working people of Mexico.

Hang in there! We love to visit and will continue to support you.

So, strange take on the Mexican recommendations... apparently Mamitas beach club is not allowing more than 80 people. hmmmm.... I'm amused but having a hard time understanding the scientific validity. Its the open air, wind, sand, water...

unless they suspend all flighs my wife and i will be there may 10th not real worried about it. sun, sand, and diving here i come.:snorkel:

I am trying (unsucessfully) to convince my friends (and complete strangers) to take advantage of rediculously low prices on trips to cozumel right now.
There are 51 cases in NY (where I live)
None in Cozumel.
I am safer there!
Anyone else dig the logic and want to go with me?

We just came home today as our 20 friends that were to meet us in cozumel bailed. we've been in CUN for 4 days with no issue. there was no reason for us to come home, other than the overblown media bs.

my wife and i are coming at the end of may. hopefully this bs will be blown over by then but then again being on an empty plane and at an empty resort has its attraction for me....feel bad for the businesses down there though.

HOLA FROM CANCUN, WE ARE DIVING TOMORROW, WE HAVE A MORNING AFTERNOON AND NIGHT DIVE, WE HAVE HAD CANCELATIONS BUT STILL HAVE SOME FEW DIVERS. HERE IS AN ARTICLE THAT I THOUGHT INTERESTING TO SHARE ON THIS BOARD SPECIALLY COMING FROM THE
WORLD'S HEALTH ORGANIZATION THAT IS A UNITED NATIONS AGENCY:

WHO | No rationale for travel restrictions

I have a trip planned with hotel and air tickets bought to Los Cabos area on memorial weekend. 4 Weeks from now.
For now we have decided not to cancel, but keep watching the development. If things get worse than we will cancel.
There are no case in Baja or Yucatan, but I think the main concern is with the actual airplane.

Anybody else with plans to travel to MX and still deciding about it?

thanks

yeah, deciding on still going. it's a flu virus if your immune system isn't compromised for any reason (already sick,recent surguries, etc.) then you shouldn't have a big problem fighting it off if you get sick. as miguel stated here is the who report on travel restrictions.
No rationale for travel restrictions

1 May 2009 -- </SPAN>WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the influenza A(H1N1) virus. Today, international travel moves rapidly, with large numbers of individuals visiting various parts of the world. Limiting travel and imposing travel restrictions would have very little effect on stopping the virus from spreading, but would be highly disruptive to the global community.
Influenza A(H1N1) has already been confirmed in many parts of the world. The focus now is on minimizing the impact of the virus through the rapid identification of cases and providing patients with appropriate medical care, rather than on stopping its spread internationally. Furthermore, although identifying the signs and symptoms of influenza in travellers can be an effective monitoring technique, it is not effective in reducing the spread of influenza as the virus can be transmitted from person to person before the onset of symptoms. Scientific research based on mathematical modelling indicates that restricting travel will be of limited or no benefit in stopping the spread of disease. Historical records of previous influenza pandemics, as well as experience with SARS, have validated this point.
Travellers can protect themselves and others by following simple recommendations related to travel aimed at preventing the spread of infection. Individuals who are ill should delay travel plans and returning travellers who fall ill should seek appropriate medical care. These recommendations are prudent measures which can limit the spread of many communicable diseases and not only influenza A(H1N1).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom