Mid Atlantic Bottom Feeders' First Meeting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveO

Contributor
Reaction score
Date: November 4, 2002
Time: 7:00 pm
1800 Old Meadow Road
McLean, VA 22102
703-790-5292

Topic: "After Open Water: Equipment Used by Advanced Divers"

Divers from Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders forum will meet on Monday, 11/4/2002 at 7:00 pm. This is the first face-to-face meeting of some local divers who are committed to safe, informed diving. Come on out to meet some new people, and expand your dive buddy list!

Our topic is an insight to some of the equipment being used by advanced divers in our area. Come on out to see some gear: lights, exposure suits, reels, spools, lift bags, double tank configuration, and BCD alternatives. This meeting is an open discussion led by local divers, who will display and explain the gear they routinely use. (This is NOT a sales gimmick for a dive shop!)

If you're new to scuba, about to make an equipment purchase, or considering this fascinating sport, come out to meet some local divers, and if you've got questions, we've got answers! If you're an experienced diver, please come out, because we want to meet you and dive with you! If you'd like to "show and tell" your gear, bring it with you!

Questions? Post it, send a PM to DaveO or O-Ring, or send email to MidAtlanticBottomFeeders@yahoo.com.

Future Topics:
"Local Dive Sites For Dummies" and "Local Dive Destinations for Dummies"
PADI vs. NAUI vs. TDI vs. SSI vs. Etc. Etc. Etc.: What's The Deal?

Directions:
From the Beltway, Exit 46B for Route 123 North / Chain Bridge Road towards McLean. At the first traffic light, turn right onto Old Meadow Road. Follow for 1/2 mile, turn right at sign for Regency Sport & Health Club.

I'm interested in the group but will be away on business travel on the 4th in Florida (hopefully getting some dives in as well).

This is a great idea. I'll look forward to hearing it about it!

Hey, DivePartner1-
Thanks for your post! We'll keep you informed- and since there are a number of divers in MD, we'll have to plan something closer to home for you people.

DaveO

DaveO,

THAT'S IT!! This is exactly what I have been looking for. I too am interested if not for the fact that I'm in Wilmington, DE and the drive didn't take 2.5 hours. Perhaps one day we can agree to meet on a Saturday or somewhere closer.

Did I say I have questions about gear configuration and that it varies depending on where one dives locally?

Dan

I am in a similar boat with Dan Bo. I live in Williamsburg and just can't see the drive. In any case have a great meeting and keep everyone informed. Thanks for setting this up, even though I can't go.

Hey, Dan and Dennis,
Sorry y'all can't make it- that drive would be a bit much for you, wouldn't it. It was completely our intention to spread meeting venues out, geographically speaking, and if we can do it on a Saturday then that would be great too. Originally weekends were not considered because the feeling was that everyone would be busy (preferably diving) but if that works for everyone we can do try that too.

If you have specific questions about equipment config, or even general questions, please feel free to post them here. Dan, did you have a specific question in mind? Where and what do you dive?

DaveO

I am envisioning a traveling road show now...every now and then have a weekend powwow at a different dive site (quarry, boat, whatever).

MikeS would be in for that!

Good idea. If you can combine these with a day of diving at various quarries/lakes/rivers, you will not only be able to show people the gear but help them configure theirs AND get them in the water to practice their skills.

Dave D

Sillygrendel said:
I dunno...
Will there be a scooter there I can play with?
Be really nice to dmdalton and maybe he will bring his Gavin to the meeting so you can check it out...

I would but I can't make that night. My wife is getting back from 2 months in FL helping her mother recover from rotator cuff (sp?) surgery. I think she would be annoyed if I left her at the airport or left for a meeting upon getting home!

Dave D

Back
Top Bottom